Wednesday 4 December 2013

Cheesecake Dreams for the Sleepless Chef

Hi guys!!!

Happy Thursday and welcome back!!! Can you believe it's December already?! I know I keep on repeating how fast time flies, but right now, I just cannot believe that we're in the last month of what has been a very interesting 2013.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. When last we met, I had a beautiful Pumpkin Cheesecake setting in the fridge, getting ready for the festivities that would follow the following day. However, that magnificent beast of a cake wasn't for home...I know. Why, right? Hahahaha, a good friend ordered it for his Thanksgiving dinner, while I decided to make a Pumpkin Roll for mine.

To be honest, the picture doesn't do it justice.

So Thursday came by and many of us here, although not American, did celebrate Thanksgiving. With a beautiful bird, mashed sweet potatoes, potato gratin, stuffing, a delicious salad, corn, bread, gravy and cranberry (of course!), we gave thanks for the wonderful times we've had, the many to come and the amazing feast before our eyes. Despite dinner having been quite late, none of us said no to dessert...at 11:30 in the evening. A pumpkin roll, a pumpkin pie, a pecan pie and a "Romeo and Juliet", we were all ready for bed. 

It broke while rolling it up,
but it got devoured later

I had trouble falling asleep with a full belly (oops!), but I was up early and back in the kitchen once more. I had plenty to bake, as I had a weekend off, and I needed that pastry fridge full. It was well past midnight when I found my bed, but the alarm clock rang in what felt like seconds. I had a hair and makeup appointment at 8, so I got ready and headed out. I got home around 11 in the morning, after running several errands, just in time for a quick bite. I rested a bit, but soon it was time to get ready. I had a wedding to attend and by ten to 2, I was out, with my hair pinned up and shadowy eyes. The day passed in a blur: a beautiful bride, a handsome groom, a glorious ceremony (despite the power going out), pitter patter of rain, drinks, a toast, a dance, more dancing, and more drinks. I should have eaten. Yup. I paid dearly for my mistakes on Sunday, barely getting out of bed to shower and eat, with sore feet, a sore throat, a throbbing headache and aching body. Lesson learned: pace yourself when you're dead tired, lacking sleep and not eating well. Not to mention I am now coming down with a cold, due to the light rain we decided to ignore during the party. But regardless of the horrors of Sunday, I wish the newly wed couple a lifetime of happiness.

I think I'm gonna be hating Passion Fruit soon...
having to make it everyday hahahaha

I actually managed to fall asleep again, around 10:30 Sunday evening, with heavy eyes and a bobbing head. I woke up Monday morning, feeling like a new person. I'm sure my cold tablets helped a ton, and I was only thankful I was able to walk again. My feet no longer hurt, but I'll remember to pack in a pair of flats next time I'm out. I managed to bake a lovely batch of brownies and was in the process of making a Lemon Meringue Roulade. Sadly, this last one failed utterly. For some reason, the meringue stuck horribly to the parchment paper and left me a "holey" mess to "work" with. It ended in the trash. I arrived in the early afternoon to the cafe and enjoyed a delicious Vanilla Latte with a brownie, hehehe. The afternoon flew by and soon I found myself enjoying a lovely glass of Riesling. i left as soon as the traffic jam lessened and with absolutely no energy to bake, procrastinated for the better part of the evening. 

Big Red...meet Lil Red. One of my partners let me
borrow it to lessen my load. Thank the LORD!!!

Despite the overall weariness, sleep eluded me. I tried writing and failed miserably; music lost its meaning and I eventually turned to the TV. A good five minutes were spent browsing different channels and switching programs. I was distracted for an hour with old reruns from Criminal Minds. Then I watched a rather disturbing movie. Okay, perhaps it's an exaggeration, but I'm pretty sure I'm scarred for life after watching the 1997 adaptation of Vladimir Nabokov's novel, Lolita. No, definitely sure I'll be scarred for life. I guess I was rather horrified realizing the depraved man was played by none other than Jeremy Irons (whom I love). I soon drifted off, after watching the film. 

Morning came too soon and I woke up after snoozing several times (a thing I used to never do) and immediately showered before I slept again. My cold felt more present, and yet, I had to bake. And so my day began. A White Chocolate Passion Fruit Cheesecake, a Red Velvet Beauty and violet Lavender Cupcakes later, I was enjoying my lunch before heading out. It was a quiet day for me, something I am thankful for, as usually I'm running around stressing out. However, it was 12:52, Wednesday morning, having been a very busy bee for the past four hours, as I had just finished making a Lemon Meringue Tart, another White Chocolate Cheesecake, a Tres Leches cake and an A M A Z I N G (looks, at least) Mojito Cheesecake!!! 

The homegrown mint was essential :)

I woke up feeling terrible. My cold had worsened and my head felt heavy. With utter reluctance I managed to get out of bed, well past my time. I quickly composed myself, headed to the kitchen, applied the finishing touches on my cakes and left. The day passed in a blur, with many ups and downs. I'll detail you on the ups. The downs...let's leave it at that.  First thing in the morning, we received a message from the manager as we appeared on the social page of the newspaper, regarding our opening night. Nice enough to bring me a smile. Second big surprise came in a subscription. My step-by-step of the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake was published in a national Food Magazine! So, yes, I had much to be thankful and happy today. 

If you haven't tried out the recipe, please do!!!

And as usual, the clock is about to strike 1. The kitchen is spotless and in the fridge I have lovely Lemon Squares, a beautiful Meringue Roulade and the ever-pleasing Carrot Cake. Waiting to be served is the delicious banana bread, sitting pretty on the counter. Despite the day flying by, I am terribly tired, but feeling cheery and merry. So, with a happy smile, I take my leave. 

Have terrific Thursday and I wish you all a great week!!!

Until next time.
xx

P.S. Be sure to stop by next week for two of the new recipes tried out!!!

2 comments:

  1. congrats!!! would love to try the salted caramel chocolate cake....but I don't understand the language! =( xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kay!!! The recipe is in the April blog posts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete