Wednesday 25 December 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!!!

Hi Guys!!!

Merry Christmas!!! And welcome back!!! I cannot believe it's been almost two weeks since I posted last, but my life has taken a rather busy turn lately. Despite the weariness and overall tiredness, I am happy that I've been baking non-stop. There comes a time, everyday, when I wish my oven exploded so I can have a break, but then a cake turns out beautiful, and I am reminded of why I fell in love with baking in the first place. So on this beautiful Christmas night, let me enlighten you with my endeavors of late.

A lovely cookie just for me...
it didn't last a minute

When last we met, I was very proud with how the fondant Christmas cupcakes turned out. I still dislike working with fondant, but the holiday theme really got to me. I obviously need to practice more, but so far...not too shabby.  The Saturday that followed, I was happy to attend the birthday party of one of my great friends, providing a batch of the Spicy Cilantro Mousse, which was well received, despite some personal reservations. I was also very happy to catch up with old friends whom I had not seen in a very long time. It's always great to know, that even with time and distance apart, and not speaking on a daily basis, catching up with true friends is as if no time has passed at all. Thankfully I had baked during the day, as I had to wake up early...and very reluctantly to deliver those babies. My aunt gave me a ride and alongside a cousin, the three of us took opportunity to visit a Christmas bazaar that was taking place. We managed to procure several things, among them, 4 beautiful cake stands. Yes...4. I felt guilty as I got home, but hey, the more equipment, the merrier hehehe. 

Nothing like a Mocha to calm you down

I kept trying to fully restock my pastry corner at the Cafe, but to be honest, I did not think it would be as hard as it has been. People really like their sweets. It would be a thousand times easier had I a bigger, better equipped kitchen. Until then, I have my beautiful cozy kitchen to cope with. Now, coffee has always been my friend and ally when I've had my stressful moments, and God knows, I needed it last week. On a happier note, my best friend was flying in from London Friday and I was excited. But I had several events to attend to before we met. Friday morning included a gift exchange, from which I received a beautiful scarf (love that people know me well...albeit I did ask for one...never mind) and more equipment for my lovely kitchen. Which reminds me...I got an early Christmas!!! My dad surprised me over a week ago with another Kitchen Aid!!! This time Big Red met Red II. They certainly add some color to my workplace. But I'll introduce you another time. 

My day passed in a peculiar blur, ending with me rushing out of the house to attend another gift exchange, only to sadly come to the realization that my wallet, entirely, was missing from my purse. No matter how much I retraced my steps, there's absolutely no recollection of how I came to lose it. But I couldn't delay myself further. I showed up, over an hour late, but baring gifts, hehehe. I was assigned the sweet treat for the night (Tiramisu!), and although we never got to glide our forks into it, I was informed later that it was delicious. After many drinks and a lively gift exchange, I met up with another group of friends, among them, my sister from far away, whom I had not seen in a year!!! Since we got to the place quite after hours, we didn't really catch up. Still, the entire evening was splendid and with very sleepy eyes, I met my dreams. 

Rum-glazed, fruit packed Christmas cakes...
the perfect gift

As per usual, I had to wake up early Saturday. Duty called and back to baking it was again. I managed to do so quickly, with enough time to fix and gift wrap several yummy fruitcakes that had been ordered on Monday. So in the late afternoon, I delivered the cakes and visited my friend. Reunited once again, it's funny how nothing has changed. Several wine glasses later, I was heading home. I got to bed as sleepy as I can ever remember. My body no longer bared me anymore. Sunday awoke me with a start and worrying, as I was informed, quite late, that the pastry corner was lacking and I had to, again, leave the comfort of my bed to bake. I had so much to bake, that I was stressing beyond words. I managed to whip up 5 White Chocolate Passion Fruit Cheesecakes, 1 Salted Caramel Cake, 1 Carrot Cake and 1 Chocolate Cheesecake. Dead tired, I passed out. My alarm rang and again, I had to bake. Only 2 Lemon Meringue Roulades to make, I quickly left to deliver the cakes. I was back home in time for lunch. But I had a busy afternoon ahead of me. I accepted an order of decorated sugar cookies, a first for me, and my time calculations were wrong. Because I hadn't considered the equipment I would need, it took me much longer that it would have to bake and decorate the cookies. But despite the late hour, I had so much fun piping royal icing on those beauties. I am happy to announce that my customer was happy.

I was so proud! Absolutely beautiful!!

Tuesday morning I woke up, feeling quite groggy. Nothing a hot cup of coffee couldn't cure. I revised my recipes for the desserts of my second Christmas Eve dinner over at grandma's and jumpstarted my day. In a slight vain effort, I had to throw away the first sponge I made.  Recipes aren't always perfect and my oven did not agree with the time. So I got a dry, sponge that cracked. But I had no time to bake it again. I had several errands to run and I left at noon. I delivered the cookies, got my hair done, shopped for last minute groceries and was back at 3. I baked the sponge, thanking my effort to prepare the syrup in the morning and my mother's, for making the custard for my trifle while I was gone. My sister also helped to prepare another sugar cookie dough for me. So I got busy. I made an Almond Sherry Christmas Trifle, a recipe I found years ago, courtesy of Gourmet magazine and a beautiful Dulce de Leche Christmas Wreath, from another magazine a couple of years old. Quite an eye catcher they both were and were enjoyed by some of us (we had dinner roughly around 1 in the morning, Christmas Day).  My first dinner was at home, and consisted of Pomegranate Glazed Cornish Hens, stuffed with chestnut wild rice, Sweet Potato and Zucchini Latkes, a delicious Avocado, Bacon and Caramelized Walnut Salad, finishing with a Freshly baked apple pie. I was quite full, so thankfully my second dinner was hours later. 

Mmm...Sweet Dulce de Leche Wreath
and Yummy Sherry Almond Trifle

The clock struck 12, we celebrated and ate. I was overjoyed, but the late hour called us all. And on the glorious Christmas morning, I was up like an early bird, baking away for the Cafe, before the turkey to be enjoyed during our Christmas lunch went into the oven. Cakes frosted and ready, they were delivered just in time for lunch: Roasted turkey, with chestnut stuffing, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Potato Salad and the classic Cranberry Sauce. I felt like the turkey just after lunch, completely stuffed. No wonder I needed to lie down. I woke up, had my cup of coffee and headed to grandma's. Still full from the yummy Christmas lunch, I skipped dinner...only to regret it now. But the hour grows late. I shall post the delicious recipes used soon. And with my sleepy eyes, I wish you a lovely week. 

A Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!!!

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment