Thursday 12 December 2013

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

Hi Guys!!!

Happy Thursday!!! Thank you for coming back again, week after week, to read about my exploits in the kitchen and my messy adventures. I have to admit that amidst the wrecks I have been making lately, baking constantly everyday, I have not been able to bask entirely in the wonders that this time of year brings round. Although everywhere I look, beautiful lights shine, adorning windows and streets. Even at home, where the lovely tree stands proudly, filling the room with peace and joy, I haven't allowed myself time to revel in the beauty of the holidays. The time will surely come. After all, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. 

There's no place like home for the holidays...definitely

So my sleep schedule is less than perfect, I still have managed to keep up with my duties. My face begs to disagree with my accomplishments, but it's nothing a little concealer can, well, make me look slightly better. I have begun to lose track of my days and while I cannot recall for my life what I did on Friday, I'm sure baking till the late hours was involved. Saturday I decided to experiment with a new recipe and try out an old one. The new recipe, a Chocolate Cheesecake, left me with serious doubt Saturday evening, as I wasn't completely sure if had cooked through. Although the recipe stated it was to remain wobbly in the middle, it seemed TOO wobbly for my taste. Baked at 300 degrees Farenheit, I decided to up the time around 15-20 minutes more...not that it made a visible difference to the cake. Eventually I took it out, left it to cool down and chilled it for a least 8 hours. The result was a very creamy and delicious cake!!! WOW...it's no surprise I've made it again. The other recipe was the never failing, triple chocolate cookies I borrowed from a well known website. Too late into the dough making I came to realize I had no chocolate chips in the pantry. So they became Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies. And boy did they please, hehehe. Had to make more eventually. 

Even those who lie about not
liking chocolate will definitely enjoy one of these

Sunday I "slept" in. I woke up early really, but stayed in bed in my PJs until 11:00 in the morning. My cup of coffee kept me warm in the chilly weather. So I showered and had lunch and procrastinated for the better part of the day, realizing I'd be baking late...again, because I decided to be lazy. I whipped up a batch of lovely chocolate cupcakes, made lemon squares, brownies, red velvet layers and proceeded to make fondant. I can't recall if I ever mentioned to you of my past fear of fondant. Well, because I aim for perfection (and achieve it less than 50% everytime), fondant cakes terrify me, because flaws are easily visible. But there's nothing practice can't perfect. And I've perfected my fondant making skills, although I haven't decorated that many cakes with it. I was ordered a dozen Christmas themed cupcakes and fondant was perfect. Although I take pride in my creativeness, I have yet to develop it when it comes to cake decorating. I usually turn to Pinterest or book for inspiration.  And here is what I accomplished. Not bad, being my first time decorating cupcakes (I've only ever decorated one cupcake with fondant before).

They still turned out quite nice :)
...the snowflake requires practice.

Monday came by and left in a hurry, me baking a Lemon Meringue Tart for a customer and going to bed rather early. Tuesday was a quiet day, although several cups of coffee aided in my functioning. Yesterday was one of those days, on which you stress yourself the entire day, wondering if you have to do something, only to realize very late at night, that you did not have to, and could have relaxed for a bit, which I did, although I was worried I had to bake. Buffalo wings and a beer later, I was pretty relaxed and even managed to read my long abandoned book before sleeping. Thursday came by with a gray sky and a chill in the air. I quickly warmed up behind the oven, getting a head start on orders due tomorrow. I left after lunch, popping in the cafe for a coffee and chat for a bit, before heading to the supermarket for a last minute ingredient stop and finally home. A quick bite for dinner, layers baked, a caramel made and layers sliced, here we are. Its after midnight, Friday morning. My body is begging me to continue early tomorrow, and although I'm sure it's a decision I'll regret, I take my leave. And as promised, below are two of the recipes I used last week. Enjoy!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Until next time.
xx


Mojito Cheesecake


Ingredients:

Mint Sugar:
1 1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 C. loosely packed mint leaves, washed and thoroughly dried
Crust:
                                                        2 C. graham cracker crumbs
3 T. mint sugar
6 T. butter, melted

Filling:
                                                        24 oz cream cheese, softened 
¼ C. sour cream, room temperature
1 C. mint sugar
1/8 t. cornstarch
3 large eggs
3 T. fresh lime juice
2 T. fresh lime zest
1 oz light rum*

Whipped Cream:
                                                            1 C. heavy cream, chilled
2 T. mint sugar1 T. fresh lime zest
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 ˚F.
Mint Sugar: In a food processor, pulse the granulated sugar and mint leaves until the leaves have been ground down and combined with the sugar.
Crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs, mint sugar and butter until moistened and resembles the texture of wet sand. Pour into a 9-inch springform pan and press crumbs into the bottom of the pan and about one inch up the sides. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and cool to room temperature.
Filling: . Using a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the cream cheese and sour cream until its light and fluffy. Gradually mix in the mint sugar and cornstarch. Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lime juice, lime extract, zest, and rum (optional) until well combined. Pour the filling over the cooled crust. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven with a pan half full of boiling water on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is set. Turn off the oven and allow the cake to sit in the oven with the door propped open for about 30 minutes. 
Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool for an additional 30 minutes. Wrap well with plastic film and foil. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Carefully remove the sides of the pan by running a hot knife around the outside of the cake.
When ready to serve, prepare the whipped cream. Using a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the chilled heavy cream on high until it just holds stiff peaks. Slowly sprinkle in the mint sugar until you reach a thick consistency. Add in the zest, rum (optional) and whip until combined.
Pipe the whipped cream on top of the cheesecake and garnish with additional lime slices and mint leaves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Tres Leches
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:

Cake:
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
5 whole eggs, separated
1 C. sugar, divided
1 t. vanilla
1/3 C. whole milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened, condensed milk
1/4 C. heavy cream

Italian Meringue:*
2 egg whites
120 g sugar
50 ml water

Maraschino Cherries for decoration (optional)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.

Cake: Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan liberally until coated. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. 
Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until combined. Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.

Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan.

Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a small pitcher. When cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Slowly drizzle all but about 1 cup of the milk mixture—try to get as much around the edges of the cake as you can. Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes. Leave in pan.
Meringue: Using a stand-up mixer, with whisk attachment, have the egg whites ready on the mixing bowl. Cook sugar and water to 116 degrees, using a candy thermometer. When it reaches said temperature, set the ready mixer on high. When the temperature reaches 119, remove the soft ball sugar from heat. Allow the bubbles to simmer down, and slowly and with a steady stream, carefully pour the cooked sugar on the egg whites, making sure not to hit the running whisk, to avoid the sugar splattering on the bowl. Let the mixer run until the bottom of the bowl no longer feels hot. The meringue should show stiff peaks.
Assembly: Spread the cooked meringue gently and evenly on top of the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*if removing cake from pan to serve in a platter, the meringue needs to be doubled in order to fully cover the cake.






No comments:

Post a Comment