Wednesday 27 November 2013

Coffee & Cake and A Wine Bar Café!

Hi Guys!!!

Happy Wednesday!!! I realize that I've been late with my posting lately. But please bear with me; much has happened in the past week that has kept me quite busy. For starters: the project finally opened!!!
Say hello to Copa Café!

A Panoramic (rather small) view of the lovely
Coffee Wine Bar Bakery

After months of brainstorming, decision taking, barista training, construction works, menu pricing, arguments and discussions, our baby was born. And we couldn't be happier or proud. Sure, the real work comes now and despite the hesitation, we're more than ready. 

When last we met, I was heading to bed. I woke up well, surprisingly. Wednesday marked the beginning of what were to be two very, VERY, long days. Wednesday was shorter though. To balance off the baking in my kitchen, with one pair of hands and my trusty oven, I began the preparations baking layers, making fillings, blind baking tart bases, you know... the usual hahaha. I did finish a bit past my bedtime, but the bases were finished. Because I was stressed out and worried thinking about the amount of baking ahead, it was no surprise I had baking nightmares and a bad headache. I woke up tired and with contracted muscles, but duty called and before I knew it, it was past 3 in the afternoon. And I still had eleven hours to go. Yes...eleven, because it turns out, I clocked in 17 hours: from 9 am to 2 am Friday morning. I was so engrossed in the baking, washing pans, cleaning up, prepping up, measuring, whipping, pouring and the same over and over and over again, that time flew by. By the time I was done, having just frosted my lovely lavender cupcakes, my legs no longer held my body weight and my feet were killing me. I wanted so badly to take a shower, but I succumbed to my sleep. 

Rosed Out Lemon Meringue Tart

Sadly, five hours weren't enough after what felt and eternity in the kitchen and by the time I had showered and dressed up, I was running late, trying to fit everything snuggly in the car. My overall state felt worse than that after a night of heavy drinking; Yes...worse than a hangover. With a banana in my bag and heavy eyes, I drove over to the project, surprised I made it in time and safely. I ran on automatic the entire day, having eaten only my banana, a slice of pizza and having chugged down more coffee than ever. But the pastry corner looked marvelous and better than I hoped for. I managed to sneak out for less than an hour to get my hair done. Come on! Opening night, dead tired, looking like a raccoon, the least I could do to look presentable was pamper my hair. And thankfully I did. So many pictures were taken, my smile froze my face. I'm sure I look like a freaky clown in some of them. But  we finally opened. With a few words from my partners and myself, we thanked everyone for kindly showing up and supporting us. Bottles of wine later, a short night out, and finally getting to bed, my long day was over. 

Try pairing it with a wonderful fruity Riesling
and you have yourself the perfect marriage!

I slept in for a bit. I woke up feeling rather rested, but still, remains of tiredness remained. I composed my self throughout the day. It was our first day open for the entire public, so I still had to be at the project early. I took in a magazine for baking inspiration, and enjoyed the little I could browse through it with my coffee. I barely sat down to do my baking research. A lot of people popped in to say hello, so it was more of a social day. I left a little before closing time and headed home. I waited until a reasonable hour to sleep, and I was out like a light. I woke up excited Sunday morning as it was Election Day and just before noon, we headed to our designated voting room, made our choices and got our pinkies stained. My duty as a citizen was done and home we headed for lunch. After a short break, the kitchen called and the baking began. A couple of cakes and other goodies later, I was asleep again. Monday came sooner than I wished and before I knew it, I was finishing off the cakes and applying the final touches when we decided to close the place for the day for reasons beyond our control. So I finished the cakes peacefully and visited my grandmother.

I really love the holidays <3

Tuesday morning I was rushing...again, trying to fit everything in the car...again, but the dessert fridge looked positively sweet! I was glad my long days and kitchen hours provided great results. I headed home in the late afternoon and began preparations for today's baking. Thankfully, not much has to be replenished, so I took on a couple of side orders and have been focusing on them instead. I never thought it would be hard to balance my orders and the cafe's but it is. In the near future, I will have help, as I have finally come to realize my two short arms and legs and one oven aren't enough to fulfill the orders and satisfy the many cravings for sweet things. It took me long enough, right? I mean, any other person would take the raccoon eyes and backaches as a hint, but there you have me: stubborn and messy and sleepy, hehehehe. 

The day is quite gloomy and slightly chilly. Can't wait to have my second cup of coffee to warm me up and give me that kick of energy that I need. With a pumpkin cheesecake in the making and another order to fulfill, my day is sure to be sweet and gray. 

I wish you all a lovely week, a Happy Thanksgiving, a safe Black Friday and a wonderful weekend.

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment