Friday 6 March 2015

March-ing In on a Baking Frenzy

Hey Guys!!!

It's MARCH!!! I'm amazed at how quickly the days are passing, but I am also very happy!!! Mango season is quickly approaching and we're experiencing beautiful, sunny days. That being said, I feel drained. I've been on a baking frenzy, non-stop. That said, sleep has come easier lately, although my dreams keep getting weirder and weirder. 


Mini Guava Cheesecakes in the making!!!

I hope you tried last week's Chocolate Carrot Cake recipe! It seriously is amazing!!! In the last few days, I've also baked couple of "oldies, but goodies" in the form of Blueberry Cheesecake BitesMini Fruit Tartlets and a variation of the English Tea Cakes. However, much of this involved waking up at 5:30 in the morning on both Saturday AND Sunday to finish up or add the finishing touches. I also made another Cars Fondant Cake. To be honest, I wasn't at all happy with the result. I have mentioned in the past my uneasiness at working with that type of sugar paste. Many say I ought to use it more to practice and perfect it, but I see myself more of a home-baker, with messy cakes and not so perfect finishes. I find those cakes prettier and more delicious. Of course, you can make spectacular creations with fondant, but most people disregard the sugar paste layer and simply eat the cake innards. I see that as time gone down the drain. So much of it invested in making a beautiful looking cake and you're not gonna eat it...not my kind of thing. 

Anyhow, here's a picture of it.


I don't know what I don't like...the simplicity,
the colours, or just fondant in general...oops.

I also baked some Chocolate Carrot Cakes. It really has become popular! 

Monday in the evening, I baked the layers for a first time ever cake: Strawberries and Cream cake. You might recall the one I made for my grandmother's birthday in November which has the same name. Well, this one is completely different. The layers are actually Strawberry flavoured with real strawberry puree in them. The other (which is equally scrumptious) featured vanilla layers filled with strawberries and cream. I baked six layers for two cakes,. Tuesday morning I whipped up the cream, filled them up and topped it with strawberry quarters. The actual inspiration for the cake looks a thousand times better, but the result had the same deliciousness degree. In the evening I baked a tart shell, made some pastry cream and dropped dead. 


So, the picture doesn't do it justice...
take my word for it that it was good :D

With sleepiness still clinging in my eyes, I woke up Wednesday, got ready and prepared the Fruit Tart. Filled with pastry cream and topped with strawberries, blueberries, some blackberries and a couple of cherries, it looked delightful. My mother was sorely tempted to slice through it. I might be making another one soon. 


It looked so beautiful...and yummy.
Mainly yummy.

With that delivered, I was free! After a week non-stop, I finally had some time to relax. Thursday morning, I was up and ready to tackle my kitchen duties again, only to find the entire kitchen a mess as it was being cleaned. I had changed all my plans to bake in the morning, and now I had to change them again. So I hitched a ride with my sister and headed out to run some errands and head home after lunch. By that time, the kitchen looked spotless, I felt guilty treading over the shiny floor. But my orders needed to be done, so I began. I baked a Mojito Cheesecake and mini guava cheesecake bites. It wasn't long before I finished. We had plans to head to they gym since we didn't go in the morning, but without a car, it was kind of hard, so those plans were cancelled. I don't really know what I did yesterday evening, but I was asleep soon enough. 


These are so good!!! I had enough batter
left for a cupcake sized cheesecake,
so I baked it and prepared it and almost
died of the amazingness in my hand hahahahaha.

I had weird dreams again and woke up at ungodly hours (2:11 and 4:16...why?) By 5:30 in the morning, I was already awake. I got ready and headed to the kitchen to finish my cheesecakes. However, the morning plans were changed as well and here I am now. 

I am so happy it's Friday, and with no immediate baking orders, I have time to enjoy myself, relax a bit, and even bake for the sake of baking, which should be the purpose of it all. 

I wish you all a fantastic weekend!!!

Until next time.
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment