Tuesday 24 February 2015

February is for Chocolate Lovers

Hey Guys!!!

Welcome back. I apologize for my late post. Last Monday it was going up, but sadly, my phone got stolen  last Sunday morning and thus, all my pictures from the two weeks since my last backup were lost. So I basically had no material to write about. Awesome, right? Hahahaha. Anyhow, I have to admit, not having a phone for a couple of days was blissful. I did have cake orders to tackle, but thankfully all those were in my notebook agenda and the phone numbers saved on my computer. So no disasters there. 

My last post hinted at what would be a busy baking week with Valentine's Day orders. Well, Thursday and Friday were busy. I decided I wouldn't be delivering anything on the actual day and so Friday was spent sorting and handing out boxes filled with either Double Chocolate Mocha Brownies, Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies, the ever popular Red Velvet Cupcakes, Carrot Cakes, Banana Breads and a special Red Velvet Cake (seriously...the frosting on this last one was AMAZING!) I managed to come up with a fabulous chocolate cream cheese frosting to give the famous red cake a different look. By the end of the day, I was seriously exhausted and watched TV until I fell asleep. Saturday I woke up rather early to run a bunch of errands but was back home for lunch. I then proceeded to be a couch potato for the remainder of the daylight. Still tired and sleepy, I managed to garner up some energy for a girl's night out. The fun evening came to a conclusion at around 3 in the morning at a Chinese Restaurant (I seriously need to stop that...I think I won't be having Chinese food any time soon). It was the last time I saw my phone. 

Sunday was quiet. With no phone to call, text or even feed my gaming addictions, I resorted to the ultimate entertainer: the TV. However, it was soothing. It was a good break from the little tool that makes us look like idiots all day long. Monday came along and with no material from previously taken photos to write about, I decided to postpone it. I delayed getting a new phone until Thursday. I don't know why. I guess I was avoiding the stress it provoked. I only charged it that evening and eventually, I restored it on Friday morning. A multitude if messages then poured in and I proceeded, for the next hour, to respond and reply to the cake orders, greetings, well-wishers who had contacted me during the 5 days without a phone. I hated it immediately.

I wanted to cut it as soon as I finished assembling it.

Friday I spent the day planning out a Ferrero-Rocher Cake that had been ordered for Saturday. I researched recipes but they all seemed to have "it didn't work out too well" reviews. My decision was to make my own variations to a never failing chocolate cake recipe I have. The result was fantastic and it received a remarkable appraisal. In the evening, I indulged in my appreciation for theatrics, and attended a comedic play called Taxi. It is the Spanish adaptation of the British 1983 adult comedy play called Run for Your Wife. I hadn't laughed that hard in a theatre in so long. To my fellow Hondurans, I strongly recommend you catch it while it's running. The theatre is in Novacentro. Sadly, I don't have the details on the running times, but I do know it will be available to watch all March. 

A deep conversation dinner and round of drinks later, I was back in my comfortable bed. Sunday morning, I woke up to help around the kitchen. The afternoon was a blur and in the early evening, I experimented in the kitchen with an idea I had been brewing around in my head for a while. Inspired by a Brazilian carrot cake, I combined the flavors of the traditional American Carrot Cake with the amazingness that is Chocolate. Because you know, why not? 
What I got was a moist, decadent, DIFFERENT, chocolate cake. Honestly, it is soooo good. I have no idea why I hadn't done it before. And after it, I don't think I will ever have a regular carrot cake...because, who would?! So I urge you to try my version or any of your crazy ideas for it ASAP. 

Moist, chocolatey, filled with carrots and nuts...
YUUUUUMMMM

Now, while this bad boy baked, I relished in watching the Red Carpet and then the Ceremony of Hollywood's most important night: The Oscars!!! I already had my predictions for it (they were all spot on) due to the previous winners in other shows, like the Golden Globes and the SAG awards, but it was still exciting to watch the winner's reactions!!! Sadly, I have to admit, I expected WAAAAAYYY more from Neil Patrick Harris's job as a host. It just didn't click and half the time, his "jokes" fell flat. He started out with a great musical number and then it was downhill. However, the musical performances by Jennifer Hudson, John Legend and Common and my all-time favorite, Lady Gaga, made up for it BIG TIME. All in all, it could have been great, but there have been worse shows. Bring back Billy Crystal, please! 

Monday came and an early workout helped out with sleepiness. The rest of the day was blah. I managed to start this post but my inspiration was lost soon after. I ended up curling in bed quite early, which resulted in me waking up at random hours (12:51 and 5:42). And here we are now. It's 3 in the afternoon, but coffee is still needed. Thankfully, I have a slice of Chocolate Carrot Cake waiting for me. YUM!!! 

Be sure to check back next week, to see what I've been up to in the kitchen!!!

Until next time.
xx




Chocolate Carrot Cake

You're gonna love it!

Ingredients:

Cake.
2 C. sugar
1 C. canola oil
4 eggs
2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 C. walnuts, finely chopped
4 C. grated, peeled carrots

Frosting
3/4 C. butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 C. Nutella
1/4 C. cocoa powder
1 1/2 C. confectioner's sugar

Preparation:

Cake:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until well blended. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; beat until blended. Stir in carrots and walnuts. Divide batter between pans. 

Bake for 42 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into layer comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks.

Frosting:
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter using and electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add the Nutella and beat until blended and smooth. Sift cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar together and gradually beat into the mixture. It should be glossy and smooth.

Assemble cake as desired!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment