Monday 9 February 2015

2015: My Golden Year!!!

Hey Guys!!!

Happy 2015 and welcome back!!! It’s almost mid February on a new year and here I am starting out the year. Talk about late starts…Anyhow, in the light of the new year and a rather embarrassing 5 month hiatus, I am happy to announce I’m back in the game for good. So much has happened in these past months so please bare with me on this long and bumpy ride.

When last we met, I had baked batch after batch after batch of cookies. They were to be part of a special promo at the Café. Sadly, cookies don’t hold that much appeal to our market, so in short words it was a major failure. The fact that the flyers announcing the promo weren’t handed out didn’t really help out either. I would have stressed out in any other occasion, but a major vacation was on the step of my door and I was too excited to worry. Although, please make sure to check out the recipes!!!! Click here:

We bid August a farewell and greeted September with the enthusiasm of a child awaiting dessert. More or less set to depart, I left everything ready. My mother and my kitchen assistant were ready to take over. September 10th knocked on the door and I was flying out on a month long break. Two flights and a train ride later, I was entering my sister’s flat in New York City. It was close to three in the morning when I finally got some shuteye. We woke up a little before twelve and with no immediate plans, we of course, ordered a breakfast delivery and binged watched Netflix until after 5 in the afternoon. At first I was restless. I had not had a “nothing to do period” in a long time, but soon enough, I accepted I was on a well-deserved vacation. I spent a week and a half in one of the most fabulous cities in the world and I regret not having explored it more. I’ll be back again sometime and I’ll give it the attention it deserved. However, there were memorable places and moments that I’d love to recount.

First off and in no particular order, I had already visited the Empire State and gone up to ogle at the breathtaking view in my previous trip last year. But I have to say that the most amazing building in the New York City Skyline, in my opinion, is by far, the Chrysler building, or as people kept calling it: “the Batman building”. Its iconic to the city and really, whenever there is an NYC air view scene in TV or movies, it is always in it. Secondly, visiting the New York City Public Library. I was inside for a short time, but it is so beautiful!!! I did get kind of lost. I had no idea where I was going. Just walked and walked and suddenly I was back in the entrance. It was a pity though, that many of the rooms were off limits for different reasons. Thirdly, walking through the Highline Park.  

Beautiful colours captured
in the late afternoon at Highline Park

We went a short time before sunset, before they were closing up, and it’s a long but very nice and entertaining walk. We stopped for an ice-lolly, or “paleta” as we call them in Spanish at a “La NewYorkina” stand inside the park. Fourthly, eating the famous Ramen Burger at the Smorgasburg Festival. It was soo good! The festival itself should be number four. 

It was small, round and DELICIOUS...
would have gone back for a second one...
line was insane

We tried a little bit of this and that and ended up slightly full. Fifthly, walking the Brooklyn Bridge (after the festival of course!), taking random photos, enjoying the views and sun. It was beginning to get chilly. Sixthly, eating pizza at three in the morning from a random pizza place (I’d love to remember the name…it was AMAZEBALLS!) and walking though Times Square afterwards. I’d also put in the same number the following words: CHICKEN OVER RICE!!! Wow… seriously, if you’ve never had it, you should definitely add it to your to do list. 

My beautiful sister and I enjoying
a walk through the bridge.
Chilly, but that sun gets to you!!!

Seventhly, BRUNCH. We had brunch several times, because, when you’re on vacation, early rises are out of the question! However, you kind of have to get to the places early, because they are ALWAYS full. The first one we went to was close to my sister’s flat, called Le Parisien. It is this tiny hole in the wall, but well worth the wait!!! Quick service and great food! Definitely check it out. My second favorite was the Clinton St. Baking Company!!! Said to have the best pancakes, I took one of the specials and devoured the Maryland Crab Cake Benedict…mouthwatering good. There was also Penelope, claimed to be the Best Brunch in NYC. Sadly, we never made it for brunch but we did make it in for a late lunch and it was still nice. Don't know where to brunch? Check out Brunch-Upon-A-Time for options!

The Maryland Crab Cake Benedict only at
the Clinton St Baking Company.

Eighthly, riding the ferry to Brooklyn just before sunset. Out of question, the most amazing sunset I have ever had the pleasure of taking in. Blue, orange and yellow hues beyond the black skyline. Seemingly unreal and like a painting, the colors blended to paint the sky into the perfect sundown. 

Just before sunset. Perfection!

And having ice cream and wine afterwards of course. Ninethly, strolling through Central Park, on a chilly and sunny day. It’s a long walk and we took a break on the side of one of the many ponds. Lastly and certainly not the least, visiting Yankee Stadium for the very first time. Of course, we couldn’t show up without any Yankees’ support, so my very own Yankee’s cap adorned my messy hair. To make the visit even more memorable than it was, I had the absolute privilege of watching Derek Jeter during one of his last games. So there you have it.  A lot of more memorable things happened (my sister turned a year older, dropping pizza in Times Square, visiting a newly opened Brazilian restaurant, having dollar beers, karaoke, getting drenched in rain, the busy metro, late movie nights, Disney Cranium, but most importantly, new friends made!)

Behold the awesomeness of the Yankee Stadium

It was way too early in the morning and I was on a shuttle headed to JFK airport. My flight heading to merry ol’ London was at 10. I was over-the-moon excited to be back in one of my favorite cities in the world. It had been over a year and half since I had last been there. Moronically, I chose the worst flight schedule because I departed in the morning and landed in the evening. Still, I already knew my way around. I finally arrived at my bestie’s place and was happily greeted. To make the trip even better, my brother joined me the following morning. I picked him up at the airport, but as fate would have it, he fell asleep as soon as we got to the flat. We then spent the following days reuniting with friends, eating, walking, doing the typical tourist things (too many photo shoots). 

My handsome brother and I about to
take a cruise through the Thames

We even made time to travel to Amsterdam and visit my friends’ brother. The time was running short, but I extended my trip for nine days and it was well worth is. I got to spend time with friends I had not seen in over two years, drinking beer and catching up.

The before picture...

But it was time to face reality. Duty called before I knew it, I was back home.  A wedding later, November flew in. We were hit with sad news, as a dear Aunt passed away and left us with her laughter and smiling memories. She watches over us now.

The remainder of the month proved to be a very busy. After a jolly Thanksgiving at my grandmother’s filled with friends and family, we then got together again to celebrate her birthday. She’s 85 years young and counting!!!

Grandma's Gorgeous Vanilla Strawberry Cream Cake

The baking continued non-stop and being the busy bee I was, I declined order for the holidays. For once, I wanted to enjoy baking for home. It was decided about 5 Christmases ago, that we would have two Christmas Eve dinners (you know…because one isn’t enough), to keep my dad’s stomach in check. The tradition is having Christmas dinner at my grandmother’s house at midnight on the 25th.  However, by 5:30, dad is usually complaining about how hungry he is. So we added an earlier dinner at home and the traditional one hours later.

This year, I chose to bake an Apple Glazed Crown Pork Roast. With the help of my mother, we finished the entire dinner just a little after 7 p.m. The menu included the roast, cranberry and pistachio rice, a caramelized walnut, avocado and apple over greens salad and buttered peas. It was a mouthful and worth the wait. Or so my father said. I admit though, I was half scared to death while baking the crown. I had never made one and I my culinary skills in the cuisine area are on the negative scale. So when this baby came out…I was almost in tears.

Seriously?! Not bad for my first time...just saying...

I had also baked the previous day two Bûche de Noël for dessert and Amaretto “SnowBalls”. I hardly remember how the evening fared. I was beyond tired and soon after dinner, we headed home. Christmas Day greeted us and the original plans for Christmas lunch were postponed for the following day. My uncles flew in from Florida on the 26 and we celebrated Christmas then. More or less was the schedule for New Year’s Eve, except I never made it to the party. I passed out at three. Not from a drunken blackout. My body simply said NO! Hahahaha. I resumed my orders a couple of days later with energy. The month was quickly ending and on the 26, I turned 26!!! Some people call it the Golden Year, when your birth date matches your number of years. Here’s hoping!!! I baked one of the most delicious cakes ever and celebrated with the family. It was Monday after all. 

Admit it...it looks AMAZING

The following Saturday, I had dinner with friends,  blew out those candles and ate another delicious cake made by yours truly. After a night out of laughing and drinking, we found ourselves leaving a Chinese restaurant at 3 in the morning. All I can say is that it was an amazing week.

"Make a wish!!!"

And then here we are! Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and my VDAY menu is out. So far, it looks like I’ll be very busy baking a little love for my customers. I do appreciate you sticking this far with me. Like I said, I’m back for good and keep on reading, because many yummy recipes are on their way. After all, it IS my golden year.

Until next time!!!


P.S. it has never been a resolution of mine, but guess what?! I joined a gym after years!!! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment