Thursday 21 August 2014

It's Cookie Time!

Hey Guys!!!

Welcome back!!!

So, it's Cookie Week in my kitchen. I spent all morning yesterday whipping up three batches of three different cookies for a small project at the cafe. While not entirely convinced of how it will fare, I can guarantee you, these cookies do not disappoint!

First in line is the Traditional Chocolate Chip Cookie...with a twist. Wanting something a little different, but not far from it, the chips have been replaced by the colourful M&M's. Being a little too self-critical at times, I didn't think they looked all that pretty. But my parents disagreed and so did one of my partners. Not to mention the baristas hehehehe. Any recipe worth its merit can be adapted to make these...try out your favourite, and let them do the talking!

These are perfect for kids!!!

While these babies baked in the oven, I proceeded to make the dough for the Lemon Pecan Cookies...aptly named Lemon Delights. Do you recall me making them in April 2013? No? No matter, click here for the recipe. It needed a full hour in the fridge to chill, as it is very soft dough, so don't skimp on the time. Short of it? Pop it in the freezer for about 10 minutes, but be sure to keep a careful eye on it. You don't want the dough to freeze. 

In the meantime, I did a quick research on some Chewy Chocolate Cookies and found the perfect recipe. Like the dough before, it is very soft and sticky, and it did get on my nerves as I weighed each soon-to-be-cookie...soooo sticky. Luckily, they baked adorably and the aroma...GOD! To die for. Every oven is different, so if attempting this recipe, be sure to watch them over. Mine baked for approximately 16-17 minutes. I tried with 10...still unbaked, 4 more...hmmm 3 more....JUST PERFECT! If you try it my way and weigh the dough balls, be sure you'll achieve an even baking. 

Don't you wish you could have one right now?

Yummers! But no time to ogle those beauties. The Lemon Pecan Cookies were next and the dough was crying out for me. Readjusting the oven temperature, I set out to divide and weigh the dough once last time. By now, it was manageable and once rolled up, into a slightly beaten egg white they went, before coating them in crushed pecans. Imprinting my thumb into each center deeply, they were nicely filled and back into the oven. I checked these after 12 minutes. They are deceiving, as the filling will appear baked, but not entirely. I left mine in for 18 minutes and perfection was achieved. Try them out and let me know!

I've gifted these in the past,
and they sure make a beautiful gift.

Every week I wish for more time: for me, for my coffee, for my messy experiments...but the few times I find myself free, all I want is to lie down and binge watch TV...nice, right? Well, I'd say this weekend is my free baking weekend...you know, for fun, but I won't be home. I'm heading out of town with a couple of friends to a Potato Festival...yes, you read right, that takes place a couple of hours away in a town called La Esperanza. It's supposed to be really good, with great food, fresh mountain air and a lively ambience. Can't wait to tell you all about it next week. Here's hoping I don't come back drained out and exhausted, because I rediscovered an old recipe for Banana Oatmeal Cookies...oh yes!

Until next time.
xx

P.S...it's sad that I have a new camera, bought specifically for food...and I have absolutely no clue as how to handle it properly...oops.




Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Recipe by Inspired Taste

Oh la la!

Ingredients:

2 1/4 sticks butter
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
12 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chunks
...the more the merrier! 

Optional: chopped nuts, white chocolate chips, raisins

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon mats. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light, creamy and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add the vanilla.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, scraping down the bowl often. Manually incorporate the chocolate chunks and other optionals. 

Drop by tablespoonfuls on lined baking sheets (or weigh them at 40 grams, like me). Bake them for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are dry and the cookies have puffed up a little. 
Made them a little bigger like me? Try 15 to 18 minutes! 

Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Me encanta, quiero seguir tu blog. o suscribirme a tus posts. option???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola!!! Me alegra muchísimo que te guste!!! Pues, por los momentos solamente en Google +, Twitter y mis boards en Pinterest. Pero estoy trabajando en hacer mi propia pagina!!!

      Delete