Monday 26 August 2013

A Whole Lotta Kitchen Mess and a Minnie Mouse Inspired Cake

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. We are entering the last week of August and I cannot believe how fast time has gone by. As we experience heat waves and seasonal rains, I imagine elsewhere in the world, the temperatures are gradually dropping, and soon enough, the trees will be trading in their signature greens for shades of red, yellow and brown. Because my lovely country is found in the Coffee Belt, or in between the tropics, if you will, I cannot enjoy my favorite season of all. Don't get me wrong, my favorite holiday is hands down Christmas, but the fall weather, for me, is absolutely perfect. A warm jacket, a scarf, enough sun to soak in the necessary Vitamin D, without suffering the insufferable heat. I am sure that most of you might disagree with me, but I am just one of those nut heads, who truly prefer the cold weather to hot weather. But I digress...


Sachy's tip: sprinkle powdered sugar
on them for a lovely finish

This past week, I had enough time to experiment a little in the kitchen, as my cake orders were due for Sunday. While nothing much exciting happened in my life, a good friend of mine left for Germany and I wish her the best of luck in this new step in her life. It's always thrilling to visit new places, especially if you are moving altogether. We only hope we can live her journey vicariously through her pictures. Anyway, I managed to squeeze in my heavily unproductive week, three small desserts for a family dinner on Wednesday. A good friend of ours was visiting from Miami, and while I wondered what to bake, she provided a great solution and recipe: Guava Bars!!! Some like guava, some hate guava and then there's my family who LOVES guava, so it was perfect. But I still wanted something else and I ended up baking a batch of the fudgiest brownies ever, with a marbled effect thanks to the cream cheese mixture dazzled on top. Alongside these chocolate babies, I made mini fruit tartlets.


So fudgey you could die. Really... a chocoholic's death

I don't know if you recall my work from February, where I was stuck in the kitchen making, molding and baking tartlets until my hands felt like falling off. Well, since I left, I had "vowed" not to make tartlets anymore. They had been ruined for me. But a little voice in my head prompted me to do them, and I found myself making creme patissiere. I had not made pastry cream since I graduated back in December. It was a welcome change and delicious as ever. However, I had a little trouble with the sweet pastry dough. Seeing it is rich in butter, the high temperatures of the day did not help sustain it. I had to chill it for a good while (more than necessary) and at once point, I even placed it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. Now, because I didn't have the mini tartlet molds I wanted, the overall look of the shell was a bit atrocious. But, they were baked to perfection, so I didn't ask for more. Plus, the filling and fruit slices made up for the poor shell aesthetics. 


Tip for next time: cover the pastry cream.
All in all, they're delicious!!!

Time caught up with me, so I had to take the still warm brownies and guava bars in their pans to my aunt's house. The tartlets were nicely lined and placed in the fridge, and I waited for the others to cool to cut them up. In the meantime, we enjoyed wine, until dinner time. Chatter could be heard from both tables (we were a lot of people) as we savored our roasted pig. Dessert followed, so I quickly cut up the brownies and guava bars and they joined the tartlets as they were passed around. But the hour grew late, and alongside a small group, left to go home.  Thursday passed by uneventful and Friday, we sadly said goodbye to our visiting friend. The house seemed quiet, as everyone was out and I happily strolled around the kitchen, baking the vanilla layers for the birthday party on Sunday. 


A pretty in pink Disney inspired cake.
Tip: use wires to support the ears.

Saturday came too quickly and by noon, I was stressed beyond control, hating my life and the never ending fondant I had to make. The moment has passed and I managed to sleep it off, but there I was, hating my poor choice in cake, albeit very fluffy and delicious. People seem to overlook the fact that a fondant covered cake is somewhat dry and stiff, not the overly fluffy and moist cake I used to please my customers. So I paid the heavy price of sucking it up and covering up my visible mistakes. I am not a fan of working with fondant, primarily because my experience with it is short and I prefer to make it, rather than buy it made and ready to roll. It helps my "image" of home-baked and homemade. I've said it before: I love artisan cakes, that are baked at home with care, time and love. So, kinda lopsided and with some air pockets I had not seen until I placed the second tier, the cake was done by 7:oo in the evening on Saturday. The only missing details were the round black ears that were drying. 

I proceeded to bake the missing 70 cupcakes from the order and I'd be in bed. The time for that came around 11:oo at night, when all was baked and ready to be frosted. It took three hours, since I decided to take a break and panicked for a big part of that break when I realized I needed carrots for the 30 cupcakes that were supposed to be carrot cake. My grandmother saved my skin, as she sent over some. I had two in my fridge but I needed more. I finished baking them and moved on to the remaining 40 red velvet ones. So, at 11:15 p.m., more or less, I was out. My alarm rang too quickly, but duty called and by 11:30 on Sunday morning, the cupcakes were frosted with my cream cheese buttercream and decorated. I placed the ears on the Minnie Mouse inspired cake and it was good to go.


Sugar pearls and crystallized strawberry sprinkles
complimented the inspired look

After the delivery, I stopped by to visit my grandmother. A cup of coffee, a short homework help and catching up, I was back home watching the VMA's, having dinner and soon after, in bed, enjoying my book. My alarm has become my hated enemy and while my bed struggles to keep me safe, it's Monday morning again and with my really bad coffee, I wish you all a happy week. Be sure to stop by next week, to check out my kitchen adventures and don't hesitate to try out the recipes!!!

Until next time.
xx


Guava Bars
Sachy's Recipe


Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter
2 C. sugar
2 egg yolks
2 C. flour
1/2 C. pecans, chopped*
1/2 C. walnuts, chopped*
1 can of Goya guava paste**
Preparation:
Mix together butter, sugar and egg yolks. Gradually add the flour and mix well. Add the chopped nuts and form a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 9x13 rectangular pan with aluminum foil. Cut the guava paste in thin rectangular strips. Split the dough in two and press one half on the lined pan covering it evenly. Do not roll. Line the guava strips on the dough and cover using the remaining dough. Bake for 45 minutes or up to 1 hours. Allow to cool and cut into squares. Enjoy!!!

*The nuts can be substituted for each other. I used only pecans. 
*Goya guava paste can be found in most supermarkets in Latin America. Not here? Check out the latin american sections in your local supermarkets. Other guava paste brands can be used as well.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Cream Cheese Marbled Brownies
Adapted from BHG


Ingredients:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter
1/4 C. sugar
1 egg
1 T. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
2 1/4 C. sugar
4 eggs
1/4 C. milk
1 T. vanilla extract
1 t. almond extract
1 C. pecans
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil. Coat lightly with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and the 2 tablespoons butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until mixture is fluffy. Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, beating until light. Beat in the 1 egg and the 1 tablespoon flour just until combined. Set aside.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Using a double boiler, combine chocolate and the 3/4 cup butter. Stir over low heat just until melted. Remove from heat and add the 2-1/4 cups sugar, beating until combined. Add the 4 eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
Spread the chocolate batter in the prepared baking pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture in mounds on top of chocolate batter. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate batter to marble. Sprinkle with pecans.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached.* 
Allow to cool. Cut up into squares. Enjoy!!!

*I left mine for over an hour, having utilized a 10x10" square pan, which resulted in thicker, delicious brownies!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fruit Tartlets
Recipes from LCB



Ingredients:
Sweet Pastry Dough:
yields 1 8" tart
125 g butter
50 g sugar
50 g egg
200 g soft flour
2 g salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
vanilla extract

Pastry Cream:
300 ml
75-90 g egg yolk
50 g sugar
1 vanilla pod, split
20 g all-purpose flour
20 g cornstarch
10 ml rum or other alcohol

Fruits and berries of your choice, sliced



Preparation:
Sweet Pastry Dough:
Cream the butter and sugar and egg together. Gradually incorporate the flour and salt. Whisk in the grated lemon zest and vanilla. Form into a ball, cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Roll dough into mini tartlet molds. Dock the dough. Using parchment paper and baking beans, blind bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove the baking beans and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. The tarts should have a golden color.

Pastry Cream:
In a heavy sauce pan, place milk, half the sugar and the split vanilla pod. Place on medium low heat. On a mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and the remaining sugar until the yolks are blanched. Whisk in the flour and cornstarch. Bring the milk to a boil. Add the milk to the egg yolk mixture and whisk thoroughly. Return entire mixture to pan and continue to cook until the cream thickens and holds its weight. Transfer to a tray, cling film to avoid the cream to form a skin and allow to cool. Once cool, whip back to creamy consistency using an electric mixer or a standard whisk. Mix in the alcohol and enjoy.

Assembly: 
Using a pastry bag, fill in the tartlet shells with the pastry cream. Smooth the filling with a palette knife. Creatively arrange the fruit slices or berries of choice, making sure to cover the cream from view. Apply a thin layer of nappage to add a shine and prevent the fruits from oxidizing. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made 1 day ahead. Enjoy!!!

*If you don't have nappage available, use apricot preserves or jelly, add a little water and heat up until melted. Make sure the glaze is hot when you apply. 



No comments:

Post a Comment