Tuesday 13 August 2013

Cakes, Coffee and Roadtrips

Hi guys!!!

Greetings from Roatan!!! A beautiful night sky covers us this evening, and I sit calmly on my hotel bed after a long day. Much has happened in the past few days, so bear with me while I relate as much as I can.


Enjoying fresh fruit pilones at a local pickle shop
 in Gracias, Lempira

I promised you last week I'd post the mousse recipe along with a picture, so I am happy to keep my word. I tweaked the recipe a bit, but the result was fantastic, so don't hesitate to try it out.

The piroulines made for a lovely finish

I have to admit, that despite the kitchen chaos I created this week, it was most definitely fun and entertaining. I told you in my last post that I'd be working on a "Cow Cake". I had no idea how it would turn out and the birthday girl requested a German Chocolate Cake, so I knew I'd have to plan my time well. I had an Apple Spice Cake to make the day before, so my time management got a little out of hand, but I managed to make them both beautiful and delicious (not my words). 

Apple Spice Cake with Candied Pecans...mmm, right?

The cake got delivered and I finally focused on the stressful one. Stressful for two reasons: 1) I still have much to learn on working with fondant and 2) I had never made an abstract cake without a mold. So I simply winged it and it was a hit. I made the 9" layers for the cake and a smaller 6" layer which I used to create the head and legs of the cow. Once I assembled the cake, I rolled out the fondant I made. It had me sweating cold because the cake had a thin ganache layer to stick the fondant and the fondant was pristine white, so a tiny smudge would be obvious. I don't know how I managed, but the fondant covered the smooth cake perfectly and I avoided the smudging. I had more difficulty covering the head, because it wasn't stable, but it came out pretty. I trimmed the small layer to make the head and then "glued" the head to the base and made the legs from the trimmings. It sounds confusing, I know. Once the cake was fully covered and had all the attachments, I simply carved out its spots. The final touches were given with the grass and lettering. 

Somebody had a MOO-velous birthday!!!


I was quite content with the final look, but I still need to practice more. I'd change a couple of things if I were to make it again, but the birthday girl was happy and so am I. That was among the most exciting experiences of the week, as I also began training to become a barista. Yup, the Messy Chef is venturing into the world of coffee. I now know to operate an espresso machine and as God is my witness, someday I'll learn to properly cream the milk. My fingers do not appreciate the burns, but hey, what's the fun in life without occupational hazards? There's still so much to learn on the subject, but we'll be pro's in no time.


My training as a pastry chef came in handy

Saturday has been one of the longest days in a while. Waking up at 6:00 a.m. to make a Lemon Meringue Roulade, heading out for my Barista training and leaving town at noon is not enough. Around 5 hours by car, we finally got to Gracias, Lempira and settled down at the hotel. After a quick bite, we made our way to the thermal baths a little outside the town, where we lasted no more than 30 minutes before we felt like boiling lobster. 

The following morning was the set for one of the most exhilarating adventures I have ever had the opportunity to experience. A small town called La Campa is home to the highest and longest Canopy (zip-lining) "trail" in Central America. Overlooking the town and valley below, we flew over and across the mountainous terrain on six different lines. The adrenaline was off the roof and the initial fear was gone within seconds after the first jump. The view itself was breathtaking but the feeling of freedom and flying is second to none. I recommend it 110% percent if you ever get the chance to try it out. Trust me, it's not a decision you'll ever regret!!!




Check it out!!!
Canopy La Campa
Road between Gracias and La Campa
Puerto LempiraHONDURAS
+ (504) 9854 4351

We left the beautiful town shortly after 2:00 p.m. and we headed further west to the small colonial city of Santa Rosa de Copan, where we had a late lunch at one of the best pizza places around: Weekend's Pizza. With growling stomachs, we sat down and got served immediately (we had ordered our pizzas 30 minutes before...we were short on time). Two giant pizzas, divided into Hawaiian, Pepperoni, Bacon and Margherita. It's hard to choose which one I loved best, but the silence at the table was a great review by itself. 

We had just sat down when 4 slices disappeared

Check it out:
Weekends Pizza
4 Av. and 2 Calle SO
Santa Rosa de CopanHONDURAS
+ (504) 2662-4121

So we left with happy hearts and ventured further into town to pay a visit to our Barista Trainer at his coffee shop: Kaldi's Koffee. While the Kopi Luwak I was dying to try was not in stock, I did have the pleasure to try out Ethiopia's Yirgacheffe Coffee, which I ground myself with a manual grinder and my fellow adventurers' drinks as well. Try out the Sahara "Dessert" (not desert) if you visit the shop. It was delicious!!!


Check it out:
Kaldi's Koffee
Costado sur de la catedral, sobre la peatonal
Santa Rosa de Copan, HONDURAS
+ (504) 2662-6202

The night sky was already covering us when we left the quaint town and a couple of hours later we were settling in at the hotel in Copan Ruinas. And you can guess what we did next morning. Yup. Just before noon, we booked a tour to visit the ancient Mayan city: Copantl, more commonly referred to as Copan or Ruinas de Copan. The architecture is impressive and quite eye-opening, but the art is far more majestic. I had not visited the city in over twelve years, so I learned much on one of the most striking ancient civilizations. It is worth visiting this World Heritage site at least once in your lifetime. 


The Athens of the Mayan World

As usual, we were hungry and a particular restaurant had come highly recommended so we headed slightly out of town towards Hacienda San Lucas. We encountered one of the most beautiful and rustic estates we had ever been to. It is also a hotel, which we did not know. We were told they work with reservations, but as we did not know, they made a lovely exception and almost immediately the kitchen got to work. In the meantime, we enjoyed drinks, explored around, took ten thousand pictures. When our dinner was finally ready, we were surprised, both by the exquisite food and the fantastic atmosphere. Everything was candle lit and we enjoyed wine alongside our four course meal. They have fixed menus all for $30.00.



"Highest of heights, I climb this mountain and feel one
with the rock and grit and solitude echoing back at me."

-Bradley Chicho


Check it out:
Hacienda San Lucas
Copan Ruinas, HONDURAS
+ (504) 2651-4495

We left early this morning, and sadly we parted ways with some of our fellow travelers midway, as some of us came to the beach for a few days. The road from Copan Ruinas to San Pedro Sula holds, personally, some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever had the pleasure to behold. Green beyond eyesight and mountainous, the couple of hours by car made me realize my small country has nothing to envy from others. Unfortunately, after we  separated, the weather was not on our side and it poured non-stop for several miles. Thankfully, as we reached the ferry, it was barely drizzling. The ride passed in a blink (I had to take a pill for my motion sickness...it's so bad) and suddenly we had reached the island of Roatan in the Bay Islands. The pristine and sandy beaches welcome thousands of tourists daily and we get to enjoy a couple of days of fun under the sun.

I wish you all a lovely week and be sure to tune in next week for our island adventures and gastronomical trip.

Until next time.
xx



Chocolate Espresso Mousse
Adapted from Petite Sweets


Ingredients:
4 T. brewed coffee
3 T. instant espresso coffee powder
1 C. whipping or heavy cream
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 T. confectioner's sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
piroulines (optional)

Preparation:
In a small saucepan, combine the brewed coffee and instant espresso powder. Stir in the cream. Place over medium-high heat until the cream is hot. Add the chocolate and sugar and stir until chocolate is melted. Stir in the vanilla. Pour into preferred dishes. 

*The original recipe calls for 12, 1 oz containers. 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Apple Spice Cake with Candied Pecans
Adapted from Epicurious

Try this cake out, seriously!!!

Ingredients:

Candied Nuts:
1 egg white
1 cup pecans* (can be substituted with walnuts or nut of your choice)
2 T. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon

Apple Cake:
1 T. plus 3/4 (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes
2 Gala or Fuji apples, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes

1 3/4 C. all purpose flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 C. sugar
1 large egg
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped* (can be substituted with nut of your choice)

Frosting:
1/2 C. of butter (1 stick)
8 oz cream cheese
1-2 C. confectioner's sugar
1 t. vanilla extract

Preparation:

Candied Nuts:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line large baking sheet with foil. Beat egg white in medium bowl until foamy. Mix in remaining ingredients. Spread pecans in single layer on prepared sheet. Bake until pecans are golden, about 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet. Transfer to work surface and chop coarsely.

Apple Cake:
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add all apples; cover and simmer until apples are juicy and almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Uncover and simmer until almost all juices evaporate, about 6 minutes. Using potato masher, mash apples in pan. Cool.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat remaining 3/4 cup butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in half of flour mixture on low speed, then all of applesauce, then remaining flour mixture. Mix in 1 cup toasted pecans.

Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes completely.

Frosting:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat to blend.

Assembly:
Place 1 cake layer on plate; spread 1/2 cup icing over top. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. Arrange cinnamon-sugar pecans in desired pattern, leaving 1/2 inch in from edge of cake. Chill cake until icing sets, about 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome and keep chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.)




No comments:

Post a Comment