Monday 19 August 2013

Fun Under the Sun and A Piña Colada for Us

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back!!! I am back in my home city once again, typing away happily, albeit a little sleepy. After a week of adventures and a break from the kitchen, I find myself with much free time on my hands. I have cake orders for later on this week, so coffee is my focus for today. I'll see if I squeeze in some barista training this afternoon, as I need to perfect those skills if I am to become a pro. 

Now, as you can recall from my last post, I was on a mini holiday, enjoying the past few days lying under the sun with a piña colada in my hand. Ahh...paradise. 

Alas, I am back home, but I have a lovely tan to compensate and thousands of pictures to commemorate one of the most amazing trips I have ever taken. It feels ages ago, and yet it has been less than two days since I got back. When last we met, I was ready to sleep in my comfy hotel bed in the beautiful Bay Islands. Like I have said many times before, my charming little country is spectacular. It truly is a wondrous place, waiting to be discovered. 


Pristine waters and sandy beaches...
really, what more do you want?

We had opted to eat at the hotel as we got there very late and quite tired as we'd been on the road since 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning. We settled in and almost immediately we set  out to have dinner. To be honest, the food at the hotel left much to desire but our all-inclusive package made up with happy drinks and long nights. So while my traveling companions enjoyed the outside breeze, I found myself quietly typing away last week's post, with sleepy eyes and yearning dreams. The following morning, we hit the beach and pretty much did nothing but soak in some well deserved vitamin D. My cousin and I, being the darkest of the four, managed to get tan lines within 3o minutes of being out, which made me laugh. It was enough for me, so I became a fish for the remainder of the day, enjoying a ride on the banana boat and munching on fruit. It has been by far, the most relaxing day ever. Not a single preoccupying thought filled us, and we got to sleep on the beach, with the sound of the waves, soothing our nerves and worries. 

We aimed to have dinner at much talked about restaurant in West Bay and as we waited for our ride, the sky fell on us. Within seconds it was pouring and our evening meal plans took a slight turn. Once again, we delighted ourselves with summer drinks and talks as we ate throughout the rain at the hotel. With closing eyes, I made my way to my cozy bed. But the sun quickly rose and at 7:30 a.m. we waited for our transportation to the Dune Buggy Tour. 

We arrived, filled in the forms, got briefed on the safety rules and each got to choose a colored bandana to protect us from the dust. I actually had no idea what I was getting into, when I put on a nice, breezy tee, pearly white shoes and light blue shorts. So with the bandana and goggles, we were off. We got a different view of the island. We drove through its dirt roads and at times could glimpse a spectacular sea of blue as we reached high places. As soon as we reached the "mud pit" it was over for our clean whites. Drenched in mud and water, I doubt we've laughed as much as we did that morning. Its safe to say the  shoes are no longer white. We got some beach time in one of the most beautiful sites on the island: Marbella. Sea as far as the eye can go, absolutely calm and crystal clear. It began to rain soon after and we headed into Palmetto Bay Plantation for a quick bite. 

The view from this spot was magnificent

We each bought a t-shirt at the gift shop before leaving, as our clothes were soaked and it got a bit chilly. We drove into the dirt road once more and headed back home. Because our transportation was late, we got to enjoy some time with the tour's pet monkey, Panchita. When we finally got picked up, we headed straight back to the beach and relaxed for a bit. We had booked a "snuba" tour along the island's Blue Channel and although I panicked mid through my dive, I had a glimpse of the magnificent underwater ecosystem that inhabits the reefs. After the last of us got tired, we made our way into Half Moon Bay to swing of a tourist attraction: a sailboat with a Tarzan-like swing. I landed on my face too many times, so I was done. 

Breathtaking view of the setting sun 

We got dropped at West End in the evening and we headed to a widely recommended place for dinner. The Lobster Pot is a quaint beach front restaurant that offers a variety of seafood, its specialty being, of course, its lobster. We ordered coconut shrimp and calamari to begin with, as we waited for the entree to come. When it did, I almost swallowed mine in a single bite. I literally left the shell alone on the plate. Everything else was gone. I was more than satisfied and I personally would advocate for a seal of excellence. We were warned the food might take a little while to arrive, but since we had the entire place to ourselves (not sure how that's possible, the food being so good!), so it came in good time. I felt we almost crawled back to our beds, so happy, sleepy and relaxed.  
Check it out:
The Lobster Pot
West End, Roatan, HONDURAS
+ (504) 2445-4095

A lovely blue sky woke us up next morning and we headed to a deli nearby for a proper breakfast. While my companions enjoyed an egg baguette as Mangiamo, I devoured my eggs, bacon and pancakes; the coffee was good too, hahaha. Anyway, this place is absolutely great. The food is good, the staff is friendly, and they make mean sandwiches. If you're ever in the area, have a bite. So, having satisfied our tummies, we enjoyed the sun for a while before diving into the water again. We had no immediate plans for the day, and in the end we took a boat ride with friends and returned to the hotel for dinner. Our last meal there made up for the previous deceptions we had. A delicious grilled fish with grilled veggies and boiled potato was just what the doctor ordered. But the evening wasn't over and we got ready for a fun night out in West End. Laughing and dancing, walking alongside the beach and talking was pretty much was happened and sleepy we were at the hotel once again. Having barely slept, we were determined to enjoy our last few hours on the island, we enjoyed coffee and delicious banana doughnuts from a local. We explored West Bay a little, before taking our last dive and begin packing. 

Check it out:
Mangiamo
West Bay, Roatan, HONDURAS
+ (504) 2445-5035

It was a sad moment, but we were finally on the ferry, and again, I dozed off. Next thing I know, we're loading up the car and on our way back home. We arrived quite late in the evening, our long journey including the picking up of geese...yes, geese. Not for eating, so don't make a face, but my lovely grandmother wanted them. Once home, I quickly unpacked and just as fast, I was in bed, dreaming of the ocean again. 

Sunday turned out to be a fun day too, despite not being under the sun and at the beach enjoying a delicious piña colada. Family reunions are so much fun, and the amount of food we ate was not normal. After ajiaco for lunch, coffee, dinnertime homemade pupusas, a round of hide and seek (adults included), a heated Cranium game and jokes, my energy sources were depleted. I drifted off a little after 2:00 a.m., hating my alarm this morning, but a workout and coffee did miracles.

Still missing some here, but pretty much a big family right?

The hour grows late and I cannot say that I've had great weeks like the past one. It really only takes great company to keep us happy, but a little trip once in a while is a definite plus. I don't know when or where we'll go next time, but this mini holiday is a definite preview of the good times ahead. So I take my leave and wish you all an amazing week!!!

Until next time.
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment