Monday 7 October 2013

Strawberry Jam for October Days and a Vanilla Monster Cake

Hi Guys!!!

Welcome back!!! It's Monday afternoon on this lovely gray October evening, and I sit quietly, contemplating my comings and goings of this past week. So far, I've deduced it wasn't a productive week, but it happens. I have been having a bit of a downer week, as my body has succumbed to stress. Massively tired and drained, my body has decided I need rest. So, here I am, on my bed, typing away.

Last Tuesday, my sister left for Barcelona and although we're all sad to have watched her leave, we're sure she's having a blast and is enjoying this new chapter in her life. She keeps in touch regularly, and I can't wait to go visit her...whenever that is hahahaha. Wednesday, I was up and running quite early, running errands and I was back home for lunch. I had a bunch of strawberries, about to turn into juice...just so ripe. I hated the idea of throwing them away, so I decided to make jam. And it was a wise decision. Because they were so ripe,  I thought it'd be best to reduce the amount of sugar I was to add. To increase the flavor of it, I also added the juice of 1 lemon. I did not have enough strawberries to make an entire batch.  A small jar was the recipient and my grandmother was gifted the petit bottle. She later said it was D E L I C I O U S!!!

Tip: if you have overly ripe fruits or berries,
cut down the amount of sugar

Thursday morning, I decided on an early start for my Friday orders. I have no idea what going through my head, when making the vanilla layers, because 35 minutes later, I saw the cakes and freaked out. 

Perhaps the picture doesn't do the uncooked-ness justice...
sticky gooeyness said enough

I later realized I had added only half of the flour, so obviously the cake could not rise, not to mention, they weren't fully cooked through. Luckily, I had all the time in the world to remake and bake again. The day flew by in seconds, and because it was a calm day, I stayed home and rested for a bit. Next morning, I was in the kitchen by 9 am, finishing off the cakes and making a meringue roulade. I had a great time, creating a Monster's Inc. inspired cake. The buttercream was delicious and the cake looked fun and divine. I had the opportunity to watch the 3 year old's face light up when he first saw his birthday cake. It's an amazing feeling, knowing you were responsible for that tiny smile. 

A Sulley background with Mike Wazowski smiling...hehehe

The evening comprised a late dinner party.  A good friend graduated Friday, with his second degree, so much had to be celebrated. I made him a Vanilla Almond Cake, filled with Dulce de Leche and toasted almond slices. It looked great and tasted even better, or so I heard. I was glad he enjoyed it and sadly, around midnight, we headed home. 

I might try soaking the layers in an
Amaretto syrup next time...yum!

I woke up feeling under the weather, and although I had a meeting after lunch, I did not show up until 4 in the afternoon. I was glad I turned up, having much to catch up on. I headed home straight afterwards, only to unload bags and leave for the movies. I don't know why I agreed to watch a horror movie, but I did and I repaid heavily for that mistake in the early hours of the morning, when I woke up freaking out. Thank you Insidious 2...

Not feeling any better Sunday morning, I still headed out to my early meeting. A coffee cup later, I was more awake and suddenly it was noon, and I was having lunch back home. I visited my grandma and we had hearty talks. And as usual...sadly...I was back in my kitchen baking another Vanilla Caramel cake. I finished it off this morning and my customer was very happy. And so am I, as I can finally relax. With no orders for tomorrow, I can contemplate a calm baking day, experimenting with new recipes. So hopefully this week means less stress and more rest!!! I wish you all a happy Monday evening and a great week!!!

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment