Monday 28 October 2013

Celebrating Halloween With A Strawberry Shortcake

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back!!! This week we say goodbye to October and we'll be welcoming in November. However, before that can take place, we of course, have to make room for one of my favorite celebrations: Halloween. 

While most of the past week was spent running errands and several meetings, my baking has been on hold. I have a couple of orders to fill in this week, so I'll have some fun in my kitchen. My mother, however, made sure there was some cake for Sunday. She made a delicious cake version of Strawberry Shortcakes. It was wonderful, even though I had not idea whipped cream on the side was the cherry on top.

Mouthwatering...I hope there's some still left

I'll have some catching up to do after that strawberry sensation. Apart from my orders, I also have several projects in mind, concerning mainly, the final months left in this year and more specifically, their holidays. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for holiday celebrations and it great, because all my favorite ones are in the last three months of every year: the most wonderful time of all!!! 

Even more exciting is the fact that our Christmas tree is well on its way. Seeing as it is a pre-lit tree, and since last year, a small part just won't light up, we went ahead and set it up to fix it up. Sadly, no one could tell us what is wrong and now we have to intertwine a separate extension to have light. It's a minimal problem and soon, the lovely Christmas tree will be lighting up our home. 

Now, after a busy week that flew by in seconds, I was absolutely happy when Friday landed.  I managed to trim my locks and style it a bit more (mind you, when I mean managed to trim, I don't mean my coordinate-less hands...I went to the hairdresser). I was mostly stoked about a Halloween themed wedding shower that evening. I have always loved this costume filled celebration and I try to enjoy it every year. Last year, I did not manage to dress up or even celebrate. My only consolation was carving out my first pumpkin ever! I don't know if you recall my portrayal of Jack Skellington; if not, here you go:

The Pumpkin King!

Returning to Friday, I had everything ready, except for some white face paint. I wasn't sure if I was going to need it, and in the end, I decided it was absolutely necessary. So I managed to get one that wasn't heavy on the face or exaggeratedly white. It was more of a blotting kind of foundation. I was home quite early, avoiding the annoying traffic that seems to infect every route in the late afternoon. So I had some time to rest a bit and enough time to get ready. By 8:00 in the evening, I was emerging my house in a spectacular costume. Spectacular for two reasons: firstly, no one could me miss me and secondly, it is one of my favorite characters from Tim Burton's fantastic world: Beetlejuice (in his female form).

Beetlejuice!!! Beetlejuice!!! Beetlejuice!!!
The leading bio-exorcist (verdad Lucy?)

After a long night and little sleep, I was pretty much a zombie my entire Saturday. It constituted food, my bed and a Doctor Who marathon. Yes, I am a Whovian. Despite having  another exciting costume ready for a party that night, my bed begged me to stay and I happily obliged. I can't wait for this Thursday to rock my other attire hahahaha. 

With closing eyes and a sleepy mind, I was gone, greeting a beautiful Sunday at 6:00 a.m. to whip up an order. I also had another meeting, which funnily enough got canceled as I was arriving. Not to mention, I delivered the prepared dessert until 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon. I really woke up that early for nothing. But a soothing cup of coffee for breakfast at my grandma's was all I needed to forget my sleepiness. I went back home for a delicious lunch, waited until delivery time, made that delivery and went back to my grandma's house (she's my neighbor). I made myself another cup of much needed coffee, took my nieces and cousin to mingle with my doggies and agreed to supervise them while they made cupcakes. Despite everyone's enthusiasm and participation, their lovely cakes barely rose. 
Lesson to be learned: too many cooks, spoil the broth. 

My lovelies

A quick supper and laughter later, I headed back home. My drowsy mind was giving in, but I had promised myself to read at least one more chapter from my current book: Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. My jaw dropped by the end of it, but I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. And soon after, I drifted off. I think I rested well enough, because I woke up a little sleepy, but had enough energy to get out of bed and work out. A gloomy, chilly Monday received me this morning, but it's gotten warmer. Rain has delighted us with its presence and we can expect more, later on this afternoon. I still have some coffee left in my mug, so I wish you a great week and a fantastic weekend. And oh, Happy Halloween!!!

Until next time!!!
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment