Monday 14 October 2013

Restful Weeks for Stressed Out Bakers

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. It's officially the third week in October and a clear blue sky is covering the city. Things are moving at a smooth and quick pace and I find myself quite excited with the new chapter that's about to be written in my life. Earlier this year, I was offered to be part of a new business that will soon be opening. After much thought and deliberation, I accepted. The opening date soon approaches and I can't contain the excitement. This is all new to me, but we are an amazing team. Wish us luck!!!

It filled the kitchen with a palatable aroma

Last week, I found myself mostly in bed. Not feeling well at all, I did not partake in any cooking or baking activities and simply tried to relax. My body gave in to stress and I paid highly for its consequences. Hopefully the doctor gives me a good prognosis, but the key to it all is to learn to manage stress. It really isn't easy, and people telling you to relax more only stresses me further. Now, I did bake a lovely Apple and Cinnamon cake, recipe courtesy of the Women's Institute CAKES cookbook. Sadly, the recipe is a fail. Or at least it was in my case. I hoped for a fluffy torte and instead, I got a crumbly and rather dry one. I am not sure if that is the expected result, but I assure it wasn't mine. It looked and smelled delicious, but alas...the flavor was lost. My dad did enjoy it with his morning coffees, but I was so disappointed, I barely glanced at it.  However, I had a bit of fun, breaking in my new mandoline.
It looks good, but the texture is completely off

This result is not a bad mark on the book, which includes fabulous traditional recipes, but that recipe in particular did not work for me. So please don't boycott it. Next in line to try are some Triple Chocolate Muffins. We'll see how it goes. 

Slicing was never this fun or easy

Friday evening, amidst the joy of watching our national team score against Costa Rica, I had to rush back home to prepare a cheesecake for the following day. I love that recipe in particular. Not only does it yield a virtually perfect cheesecake, it is simple and quick to whip up. The berries in the previous post are completely optional, but make for a great addition. The following day, some of us opted for a late lunch in Valle de Angeles and a cup of coffee to enjoy the gorgeous afternoon. I absolutely love the quaint little town, not only to get away from the city at times, but also, you have great food and time to enjoy and appreciate life. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you ever have the pleasure to visit my small and beautiful country, make sure you visit this valley of angels. 

Be sure to stop by La Estancia for a nice cup of coffee
After a wine night following the late lunch and dozing off in no time, I woke up Sunday feeling refreshed and new. I slept in for the first time in a really long time, and honestly: it felt great. I whipped up a third of the cheesecake recipe and made use of my lovely mini cheesecake pan and left them to cool off while I visited my dear grandmother. Among my favorite things to do when I visit her house is enjoy a cup of her coffee. It smells incredible and one sip makes you feel at home. There's just something about grandmother's and their culinary secrets. 

The day soon grew dark. After a short visit to a friend's home for his birthday, we were back home, enjoying a late cup of tea to send me to sleep. Despite my unproductive week and much needed rest, I have to say, its good to take some time off. Eventually your body will surrender and you'll end up feeling ill, like me. But anyway, I wish you all a lovely Monday and a great week.

Until next time.
xx





No comments:

Post a Comment