Monday 30 September 2013

Farewells & Goodbyes & Banana Bread for Happy Times

Hi Guys!!!

Welcome back!!! It's Monday once again and we say goodbye to September. The sky is gloriously blue and clear today, however, we'e expecting bouts of rain later on. Despite the temperamental weather lately, life is good. It's one of those days. :)

On a slightly sadder note, my sister is leaving us to pursue her Master's Degree in Barcelona. Though not a goodbye, it is definitely a long see you later. We'll be receiving her back, graduated, next October.  So best of luck you More. 

You'll be sorely missed

Last week, I was overcome with a depressing mood after an incredible weekend in El Salvador. But baking orders and meetings were soon the focal points of my days. True, I've barely slept in the past days, and I might look like a raccoon with heavy eye-bags, but what can I say: they are occupational "hazards". I love my job and my messy kitchen, and will continue to do so until my fingers fall off (same goes for my writing hahaha).

Brownies, lemon squares, cupcakes of all sorts, lemon meringue roulades and German Chocolate Cakes were my targets and happy customers were the results. I am overly content with how my baking has been enjoyed and although I am an amateur and still have much, MUCH more to learn. 

Wednesday evening I decided to make use of the overly ripe bananas in the kitchen and whipped up a batch of mini banana bread loaves. Yes, the very same one that had the pleasure of traveling across different countries with my friends. I had just bought the loveliest mini loaves pan and I just needed an excuse to use it...and the bananas too.

I was scared I had overfilled the tin, but I was wrong.

The following morning I wrapped up a couple and sent them out to my grandma and some friends. While one was enjoyed in the morning, one had a beach experience. It traveled to the Bay Islands were it was also enjoyed. The third was eaten slowly, with much pleasure that same evening. The other 5...well, I have no idea what happened. Hahahaha they disappeared. My grandma suggested to bake it for less time, as she found it a bit "hard", but my other comments included enough moisture and simply divine. It's always a risk to send my baked goods to my grandmother, but hers are the comments I rely on most. She is an experienced cook, a true chef, though without a diploma, and her critics are the ones that have shaped me as an amateur baker. So now I know, perhaps more cream and cook it a little less. 

Enticing enough to take a bite...or an entire loaf,
whichever tickles your fancy

As the week progressed, my body began to get tired and lack of sleep surely did not help. However, as expected, the weather has been my enemy and I'm apparently coming down with a cold. A low rasp is heard in my voice and my constant headaches have been pushing me back in the kitchen. I have yet failed to accomplish my orders, but I simply wish it goes away. After a long meeting Friday morning, that extended over after lunch, I found myself, halfway crawling into my bed. Plainly, I could not work. My head throbbed, my body ached and I needed a power nap. And boy was it. I dozed for 40 minutes and woke up slightly relieved. But I had to bake, so I put aside my tiredness and headed to the kitchen. I was up and running by 4 in the afternoon. I had a delay with a whipping cream and my insufficient equipment (I NEED MORE!!!) I was crawling back to bed around midnight. 

My sleep was not enough and early next morning I was baking a batch of goodies and delivering the baked goods from the previous day, attending a Spanish lunch (yum...homemade paella), grocery shopping, mass and back home to finish off the lemon squares. A small reunion was taking place and I joined in for a while. My head gave in and I could no longer function. So I courtly said goodnight and went to bed. You'd think I'd be sleeping in, but that, of course, did not happen. I was up early again, delivering the lemon squares before 9 a.m., last minute grocery shopping and lunch. A visit to my grandma's house and baking were my afternoon highlights. I assembled the cake around 7 in the evening, enjoyed my dinner and socialized a bit with the company we had. But I was dead tired. 

The perfect sky...
our flag proudly waiting in the back

I woke up grudgingly today, but the sight of the blue sky cleared my head. Even my morning workout brought a smile to my face. I did forget my coffee at home and had to buy a rather disappointing one. So while I enjoy my late morning pancakes and my unfortunate coffee, I wish you all a wonderful week and see you next Monday!!!

Until next time.
xx


Banana Bread
Adapted from Epicurious

Delicious
Tip: make sure the bananas are ripe. The riper, the better

Ingredients:
3-4 medium, ripe bananas
1 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon (optional)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T. butter
1/3 C. sour cream
1/2 C + 1/4 C. walnuts, finely chopped
Chocolate chips (as much as you want)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mash the bananas in a bowl. Add the sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon (if using) and mix. Add the beaten egg and mix. Add the butter and sour cream.  Incorporate 1/2 C. nuts and chocolate chips. Divide batter into a buttered loaf pan or mini loaves pan, sprinkle remaining chopped walnuts on top and bake until a toothpick stuck into the bread comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes (for loaf pan), 25-30 minutes (for mini loaves pan). Enjoy it warm or with next morning's coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment