Monday 10 December 2012

Mulled Wine for Cold, December Nights

Welcome Back Guys!!!

We are receiving this cold December with warm hands and happy hearts. There's so much to do in London around this time of year, and it's hard to coordinate just what it is you want to do. Well, last week was tough. One of my best friends was around for 9 days and because I was in the middle of a project (yes! That dreadful portfolio...) and studying for my Theory exam, I found myself having to choose to stay at home and work and study or go out and have fun. Well, as you can deduce, I had to choose the latter. Thankfully, for both of us, we believe, truly, that we'll see each other next year, so no damage there. 

Yummy Bratwurst at Winter Wonderland!!!

Sadly, she left Tuesday morning, and I made my way to school to turn in my project and sit down for the very last time, to take my Theory Exam in Demo Room 401. My emotions were a bit mixed that day. For one, I really wanted the exam to be over and done with, but then, it dawned on me that I am truly on my finishing lap here in London and at school. So the exam started and finished in a blur and we were out of there quick enough. To keep a cheery grin, we had organized a Yankee Gift Swap after the exam. It wasn't so much a Gift Swap as it was a choosing game. There was only one present stolen and thankfully, it wasn't mine. I got a lovely Christmas scented candle, an intriguing paper cutting game and a resourceful book on housekeeping tips. Thank you Gagan!!! I loved it. 

We held the Gift Swap in the school's lobby and we headed out for lunch. We went to one of the cities best burger places and coincidentally, one of my favorites: MEATtLiquor. Great food and value for money. Have you ever been? If you like burgers, I sincerely recommend you do so, immediately. Don't forget to order a side of fried pickles, next to the Dead Hippie burger...yes, it's the best. I have three people I wish to thank for introducing me to it: Lucas, Youssef and Carmela. Yup! Those three know how to pick 'em. 

Check it out:
MEATLiquor
74 Welbeck St. 
W1G 0BA
020 7224 4239

After a quick stop home to drop of my bags, I headed down to Shepherd's Bush, where we reunited again for a long game of cards and beer at O'Neills. I think it was our last time there, considering the amount of things we all have to do in the following short days. Wednesday came and went in a blink of an eye, and I found myself watching movies, yet again, until 2 am. The following day, after a quick cleaning, I headed out to buy some things. I've told you before how much I dislike the massive crowds that form in Oxford Circus, and still, there I was, walking and pushing my way around the busy streets, looking for my things. Luckily, I found what I was looking for and headed home just as quickly as I got there. In the evening, I visited Winter Wonderland for the first time!!! I am a Christmas maniac, as it is my favorite time of the year and felt practically at home in the place. My first stop was a mulled wine stall (yes...I love it!!!), after having tried on different hats on for fun. When you first enter, you find yourself in a little Christmas Market. If you ever need an idea for a Yuletide gift, I suggest you visit one of the cities many markets, as I am sure you are to find something suitable, for any budget you have in mind. 

If you're in town, head down to Winter Wonderland!!!

A trip up in the Observation Wheel, and you can see the whole of London. Sadly, it was a bit hard to do so on Thursday, as it had started to rain. Shivering, we headed into the Ice Kingdom...I know, a really smart idea, right? It was impressive!!! Sculptures and statues all made out of glass, depicting soldiers, knights, castles, and animals. We made our round in a few short minutes. The cold was beginning to be unbearable. Some mulled wine and a Bratwurst after attempted to warm me up. We left shortly after, but it was a memorable evening. It would have been perfect, had it snow. We got the wrong variety of precipitation.

Impressive, don't you think?

Friday I ran some errands, paid my bills and had a friend join me for some Christmas movies and a late lunch. The day was beautiful, but chilly. Perfect weather to stay inside, warm and cozy. And we did just that. The evening was entirely different story. A bunch of us headed out and had a good time, singing, dancing, cheering and toasting. We greeted the next day with some pizza and laughs. Surprisingly, I was up by noon, baking and ready to head out. A hot tea with friends is what the doctor ordered for me on Saturday afternoon. Take out dinner, some wine there, I was in bed soon enough, but didn't drift off. It was a glorious day, knowing two of the greatest friends were being joined together in Holy Matrimony, a ceremony I sadly couldn't be a part of for many due reasons. I wish them the very best of luck and a life of everlasting happiness as they embark in their journey together.  Here's to Mr. and Mrs. Speck!!!

Bleak rays of sunlight peaked into my room on Sunday and I caught up on my missed episodes. In the afternoon, we headed to one of my favorite places in London: The Camden Market. Too many Sundays have I spent there, eating and shopping. Things I recommend? Well, have a try of the cornmeal pancakes, the amazing Turkish wraps and a deliciously crafted pork sandwich. Also, pop into Cyberdog for a futuristic experience. Sadly, we just had a late lunch and left. The sky turned a blackish grey and the wind made the cold worse. The night remained chilly, but I was soon in bed, drifting off to sleep.

Aim to visit on a Sunday!!! 

Monday has greeted me once more, with a baby blue sky and a happy sun. It is a rare sight, but one I can indulge in joyfully.  We have much to look forward this week. Tomorrow is my final practical exam (4 hours of panic and stress, as we attempt to make a cake and plate two desserts), so please wish us the best of luck. Wednesday we have our debriefing, informing us whether we are Chefs or not and Thursday, hopefully, we graduate. It has been a long, tough and happy run and I can only wish for it to end with a tremendous boom and high note. After this, it's just packing, packing, packing. But we'll cross that bridge when we have to. So now we just calmly wait. Again, wish us luck!!!

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment