Monday 17 December 2012

A Week of Sad Goodbyes: Oh, London, How I Love Thee...

Hey guys!!!

Welcome back. It is with a heavy heart that I find myself writing to you today. Despite the beautiful weather, blazing sunshine and bearable cold, I am overcome with a great sadness. This will be my last post being here in merry ol' London as I fly back home this Thursday. So much has happened in the past week that my mind seems to be running on blurry memories. 

Finally a Pastry Chef!!!

So last week we entered the school's kitchens for the very last time. It was a nerve-wrecking moment and quite an emotionally overwhelming one as well. It was our final exam. I got there five minutes before my due time, and those have been some of the longest in my life. As I witnessed some of my classmates who were already working, I had to give myself a pep talk. I was very nervous, something plain obvious to my sympathetic supervising chef, who encouraged me and assured me it would be alright. I was debriefed on the "rules" and directed to my workstation, my hands were clasped together, to prevent the horrible shaking from showing. 

Twenty minutes to prepare and I was off. Made my orange caramel and my tuile paste. Made my joconde biscuit and feuillantine base. Prepared the mousse and the tuiles. Made the glaze and the creme anglaise. Tempered that chocolate and made the decorations. Twelve minutes before time was up and I found myself cleaning my plates and ready to present. I'm still baffled as to how I managed to make it on time, with shaking hands and a million things going through my head, but there I was, walking to the tasting room, plates in hand. I laid them down on my assigned number and left. I felt like crying: out of relief, sadness, happiness, I still don't know. Too many things all at once, but I was finally done! And I presented all the necessary components. So I returned to the kitchen, cleaned my area and left that room for the last time. 


My Final Plated Dessert:
Mini Chocoholics Heaven Cake

Not feeling to well, some of us decided to have a late lunch and we made our way to Kimchee, a popular Korean restaurant in Holborn. I had never had proper Korean food and I felt like a guinea pig, testing different foods and flavours! Worth it!!! We shared Korean pancakes (Pa Jeon) and delicious pan fried dumplings (Gogi Mandu). For my main dish, I ordered a beef Bulgogi (thinly sliced beef, marinated in a fruity sauce with onions and garlic). I ordered rice on the side and it came with lettuce, to make lettuce wraps. It was rather messy to eat, but then again, I am messy ^^. I think we had ordered too much food in the end, as we had all been stressed, and we left feeling like stuffed turkeys. We parted ways and I headed home. I was coming down with a cold and by the time I got to Camden, I was feeling ill. Bought medicine and at 4:30 pm, I was lying down on my bed. It was too early to sleep, but it didn't prevent me from napping for a while. The teas I took helped a ton and I woke up feeling better the following day.


Delicious Beef Bulgogi

Check it out:
KIMCHEE
71 High Holborn
WC1V 6EA
020 74300956

After running a few errands, I was back in school, awaiting my verdict. Three hours later, I left with a huge smile on my face!!! Yes guys! I passed. I am now, OFFICIALLY, a Chef!!! As per usual, we were hungry and headed down to East Street once again. I paid my respect to the restaurant when I got my Panang Curry, a dish I'd been wanting to try there for a while now. Because, again, we had ordered starters, and had been starving for a good two hours, I couldn't get halfway through my dish so I took a doggy bag home. And here is where my depression hit me. I had to start packing. So I disassembled my TV, with some manly help, as I am a complete klutz as it turns out (I really couldn't remove the base...) and packed it up. It was a sad moment...no more movie marathons on my couch or long talks. It was finally over, my time here. In the blink of an eye, I moved here, settled down and packed my life away again. I sat down to write Christmas cards and the depression kicked in. Still, the following day was to be a celebrated, and I went to bed.


Graduation Lunch Starter:
Tataki of swordfish on sweet soy and lime sauce
with a Portland crab and scallion croquette and wasabi mayo

A grayish, cloudy sky greeted us all on a cold Thursday morning, yet we all dressed up nicely to received our Superior Patisserie certificates and our Patisserie Diplomas. It was a joyous occasion, knowing we made it and there it was: proof of our hard work in printed pages and a medal. It was also a memorable moment, as not only we received acknowledgement as Chefs, but my dream had finally come true!!! It still hasn't settled in my head that I carry that title, but perhaps in a near future, I might live up to it. It's enough to know that my dream came true. The ceremony was short, but nice and we sat down for a lovely lunch at the InterContinental Ballroom. Toasting with champagne and taking millions of pictures, it was a festival of conviviality. It was soon over, and Teaching Chefs and newly appointed ones, all the same, we moved to a pub further down. I can tell you, it was quite the day. 


The Messy CHEF: Officially!!!

Friday was a gloomy day in every sense. I packed to the pitter-patter of the harsh rain that covered London. I do love rainy days, but it only fueled my deep sadness. In the evening, the girls and I went out together for the last time (for now) but we were all so tired, we parted ways earlier than expected. Saturday morning was a different story. The blue sky was back, and the weather was absolutely perfect. Walking down, along the Thames River from Southbank Christmas Market to Borough Market,  I went back for my much loved DUCK sandwich one last time. It is absolutely delicious and big!!! Definitely try it out next time you're visiting Borough Market.  A little while later, we took a short trip to Winter Wonderland. The day passed in a blur, laughing and enjoying the perfect weather with the amazing company. After yet another depressing goodbye, I was down in Earl's Court, celebrating the return of some of my closest friends with great food and a Yankee Gift Swap, in honor up the upcoming Christmas Celebrations. 


Turning gray and black and it wasn't even 5 o'clock!!!

Yesterday I decided I needed to catch up on my sleep, but that didn't really happen. I still had 3/4 of my apartment to pack, but thankfully I have great friends who showed up and lent four extra hands. I could not have done it without them. Thank you Kluck Sisters. You're my guardian angels. I have to say it was quite an interesting cab ride, with 3 suitcases, and a countless number of bags, all carrying half my London life. Sleep came easy but it didn't last long. I showed up at my old home once again, with the help of a kind lady, to give the flat a good scrub. It looks brand new and the sight of it brought tears to my eyes, but I held them back. I am sure I will be back in merry ol' London someday soon. Tomorrow is another day, and in the weirdest sense, it will be the saddest day and the one that gives me closure, as I hand in my keys and walk away from my home for the last time. 


On your request Kendra, the last view of school. 


I foresee myself in a near future back here in London, but until then, I will enjoy my last moments to the highest and go back with so many wonderful memories of a life in one of the world's most amazing cities.

Fare Thee Well London!!!

Until next time!!!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment