Monday 24 December 2012

Home for the Holidays!!!

Hi guys!!!

And welcome back. Christmas is upon us, finally, and we've much to celebrate on this joyful day!!! It truly is the most wonderful time of the year!!!

I have to say, despite my sad goodbye to London last week, that there's absolutely no place like home for the holidays!!! Hopping from plane to plane is stressful, specially during this time of the year. My first plane ride was an emotionally overwhelming one, after so many sad goodbyes. But as soon as I landed in Tegucigalpa (te-goo-see-gal-pa), I was overcome with a strange happiness. In all my nine months in London, only once did I truly miss being at home. And now I am.

Beautiful Christmas tree and Nativity scene at home :)

Last week was just non-stop. Between cleaning the flat, turning in keys, tying loose ends, repacking bags, saying goodbye, and gift shopping, last week is a blur in my memory. Monday was spent entirely in my old home, packing up the crockery and cleaning the flat. By the time we left, the place was spit-spot. Tuesday morning, I found myself back in Camden, locking my flat for the very last time. The lady who came to "inspect" the flat was quite sympathetic of my melancholic sadness, having lived herself in Camden, many years ago.  So I walked away from what I had called my home away from home and went on to run my errands. After ten thousand calls to different companies regarding bills and whatnot, my leaving felt final. A very late dinner and I was off to bed. I returned to Camden the following afternoon, to deliver Christmas presents and more goodbyes. Interestingly, the day was gray and it poured nonstop, much like the day I first arrived in London. I guess it was a proper goodbye from the temperamental weather of the lively city.

Silva's Christmas Lunch

Late in the afternoon, I made my way back to school for the last time, to pick up a letter and join friends for a late breakfast, lunch and dinner. We headed to Silva's once more and I enjoyed a rather large Christmas Lunch, with turkey breast, stuffing, roast potatoes, sausage and peas. Nighttime was soon upon the vivacious city and after more errands, I finally headed to my temporary home. I wrapped some gifts and repacked my bags yet again. In a few hours I'd be leaving the city, but I withheld the tears and joined my friends for one last drink. Well, more like drinks. We headed back home and with only three hours of sleep, I was already hauling bags into the Heathrow Express and saying one last cruel goodbye, to my best friend and sister, without whom my months in London would not have been the same. Technically it's not a goodbye, as I will see everyone again, someday soon let's hope, but with so much time spent together, it feels like a goodbye when your return is unforeseen. 

Check it out:
Silva's 
220 Shaftesbury Ave.
WC2H 8EB
020 7240 0028

A couple of stressful hours later, I was finally midway home, having landed in Houston, after a, thankfully, calm flight. As soon as I got to my hotel, I headed out for some quick shopping at Galleria. The place is huge and my sleepiness did not help, so getting lost was already in the plans. But I managed and soon enough I was drifting off to sleep. The following day continued as planned (without counting having to shift some weight on to my carry on, which ended weighing half a ton) and in a blink of an eye I was homing, getting greeted by our 7 dogs. Yes guys, seven dogs. Three labradors, a basset hound, a doberman pincher, a boxer and an australian cattle dog . After many greetings and paw prints on my clothes, I finally entered my house and I felt it. I finally felt Christmas!!! If you're a fanatic like me, you know what I mean when I say feel Christmas!!! 

You really can't complain about this weather!!!

The tree, the garlands, the music, the Nativity scene, nuts and chocolates, and egg nog in the fridge. Yes, I was finally home, during my favorite time of the year, after many months. A quick visit to my grandma's, having proper coffee after so long and a talkative dinner, I passed out in seconds. I, of course, didn't account for waking up so early the next morning. Still, errands needed to be run, so I joined in the hustle and bustle of the house. Day quickly became night and once again, I was sleepy quite early, and I was out like a light. Sunday morning greeted me with a sunny sky and after more errands, I was back home, baking another apple strudel, on request from my dad. I also baked a blueberry lemon loaf and both turned out equally nice. There's something about men and apples in my family but from my grandfather to my brother, apple desserts seem to be the hype. I was glad I didn't disappoint.

Nothing says holiday like a yummy apple strudel

Today has been a quiet day, beautiful and sunny. I finally returned to my exercise regime, with some dancing every morning. Tonight is Christmas eve, or was Christmas eve and now is Christmas morning on the other side of the world. I have two desserts planned: an Orange, Cranberry and Pistachio Meringue Roulade for tonight's festivities and an Orange and Cranberry Cheesecake for tomorrow's Christmas lunch. Both are already on the finishing steps, so tune in next week to see how they went. 

Despite the time differences between us, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!!! Make sure to drink some eggnog and eat lots of turkey (or whatever you enjoy on this wonderful occasion) and just be happy. After all, 'tis the season to be jolly!!!

Until next time.
xx



No comments:

Post a Comment