Monday 2 September 2013

Messy Choux, Messy Writing, Messy Sweetness

Hey guys!!!

Welcome back. September is finally here and I can bet many of you begin to feel slight chill in the air. A beautiful fall approaches elsewhere, here in Honduras we are experiencing heavy bouts of rain coupled with nerve-wrecking heats. The humidity doesn't help at all. My hair can attest for that, hahaha. 

On a hairless note, I cannot believe I completely overlooked the fact that my blog turned 1 year old and I didn't celebrate my baby project. Shame on me!!! I really to need to make up for this and I am quite embarrassed, but it's never too late to wish a Happy Birthday, so a Belated Happy Birthday Messy Sweetness!!! 

Anyway...This Monday sky is rather gray, ensuring a downpour later on, but that won't stop my  messy kitchen schedule. Today, I'll be making once again, the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake I made back in April. It's packed full of chocolate with the added beauty that is caramel, for those who love the combo. Personally, I find the two together a sugar overdose, but it doesn't kill to have a little once in a while. As my coffee grows cold, I find myself mentally writing my shopping list as my pantry is on the empty side. I do enjoy visiting the supermarket, but for me, a list is absolutely necessary, otherwise my wallet cries and I end up with a thousand things I don't really need.

So, soo good!!!

So this past week, apart from defining a menu for a secret project, I was pretty much free to enjoy a peaceful baking moment in the kitchen. My younger sister returned to Chicago and while a dinner took place at home to honor her, I whipped up a batch of mini eclairs and choux. I hadn't made eclairs since I graduated from school and it was quite an adventure. I tested out a new recipe and while it yielded good results, I still prefer the school's recipe, so I owe you this one. To make even more a mess, instead of using the fondant icing, typical of eclair, I made a royal icing which wasn't exactly working with me. So I ended with ugly looking, delicious tasting, messy eclairs and choux. It helped my pride to know that not a single one was left for me to enjoy next morning. I think I need to restudy my notes and probably ask my friend Shireen to give me a quick lesson on them. She's a pro when it comes to eclairs. 

Not the prettiest, but certainly tasty!!!

Thursday morning I found myself at the DMV, finally getting my license, although I was pretty upset I spent over half my day there. I got home happy and with a growling stomach, but soon after, I was busy baking again. I baked mini Red Velvet cupcakes for a bridal shower a couple of friends and I were hosting, lemon squares and guava bars for my grandmother and a never disappointing Black Magic Cake to create a Twix cake for a friend. I opted for the same Chocolate Frosting from a cake I made back in May, but using only half the recipe, as I filled the cake with caramel sauce. Once frosted, I used 28 chocolate bars to border the 8" cake. The following morning, I frosted the mini cupcakes, and added a whipped topping to the Twix Cake, spelling out the birthday boy's name with melted chocolate. The final touch to the chocolate overdose cake was a beautiful brown ribbon wrapped around it. I was very happy to hear great reviews on the cake the following morning. 

A lopsided happy made for a happy birthday!!!

After quite a fun bridal shower, I was reluctant to leave my bed Saturday, but duty called and I set out to bake a German Chocolate Cake. I am in love with this cake, so if you ever wish to see me smile, bake this for me. Because I was missing a key ingredient, I waited until late in the evening to finish the cake, but by 10 p.m., I was getting into my comforting bed once again. Sunday greeted us with a sunny sky and after delivering the cake in the afternoon, we visited grandma, who gave me positive reviews on the little desserts I made for her. The day turned gray and I was back home, finishing my Sookie Stackhouse book, before a quick dinner and back to my PJs. 

And here we are now. I will continue to perfect my eclair skills, all while enjoying the pastry cream, which I can now make blindfolded (thank you LCB chefs!!!). I have many experiments I can't wait to try out, so bare with me while you and I, both, keep developing our skills as bakers. I wish you all a happy week!!!

Until next time!!!
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment