Thursday 12 September 2013

Breaking Back: Baking Days with Aching Legs


Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. I am so sorry about my extremely late post. This week has been hectic and very busy. After 11 hours in the kitchen non-stop yesterday, a dead as a doorknob sleep, and a busy morning baking, I can finally relax and type away the occurrences of late in my kitchen.

When last we met (here, duh!), I was finishing my post, ready to begin the baking process once again. So while the rest of the world moved on, I happily made another Salted Caramel Chocolate cake. Such a cake deserves to be shared; like I mentioned last week, check out the June posts for the epic recipe. 

Caramel, Chocolate and Chocolate Bonbons...yum

Tuesday went by slowly, but I received amazing news!!! The epic chocolate cake caught the eye (and taste buds) of a well known magazine and unofficially, I'll be developing a recipe for a step-by-step page on the December issue!!! So cross your fingers for me. 

Sleep came easy with wonderful news and Wednesday morning I found myself at a coffee shop, accompanied by my brother, waiting for our father, who'd be joining us for lunch. A little while later, we entered a well known French restaurant (I might sound ignorant, but I think it's the only truly French restaurant in town), my former work place. Happily greeted, we were seated promptly, enjoying the breeze, as it was quite warm. The food there is great and I had long waited to order the Duck Confit. Complimentary pâté and house baked bread filled us up a bit, as we waited for our appetizers: escargot. They were devoured and slightly full, after so much bread, I wolfishly enjoyed my main course. Dessert was offered a moment later, which I politely declined, having no room left in my already complaining stomach. My dad, however, enjoyed the crème brûlée. If you're in town, looking for a nice French meal, don't hesitate to visit Arno Bistró Café Français.

Exquisite food you should definitely try!!!

Check it out:

Arno Bistró Café Français.
Colonia Palmira
Calle Republica de Mexico, Casa 24288
Tegucigalpa, HONDURAS

The rest of the week went by quickly. On the Saturday schedule was barista training...which I didn't participate in, other than try coffee. The evening comprised catching up with friends, celebrating a birthday and laughter. Sunday morning I regretted not having gone home sooner, as more barista training was at hand. However, I did delight myself trying out the smoothies and frappé mixes. I was particularly keen on a cinnamon one. I'll be ordering that one quite often. Sadly, once the training was finished, I had to revisit my kitchen once again for an afternoon of baking. Yeah, I'm a chef, but sleep was much needed. Ginger cookies were baked, the Vanilla cake was baked and soon enough, I was happy in bed again.

Chewy and baked to perfection!!!

The cake was devoured next morning and the great reviews behind it kickstarted my day. While the morning was not precisely busy, I had no time to sit and deliver my post as due and the afternoon found me scurrying from place to place, delivering cookies (recipe follows!!!), picking up cakes and getting prices on cloth. I got home around noon, ready to bake again. Two mini German Chocolate cakes and a large Blue Velvet cake filled my hours. All three were picked up Tuesday, as I went from store to store and market to market, picking up all the ingredients necessary for the entire 11 hours I spent baking yesterday. On the menu:

White Chocolate Passion Fruit Cheesecake
Apple Spice Cake
The Best Ever Chocolate Cake
Lemon Meringue Tart
&
Cilantro Avocado Mousse

So this last one isn't exactly my territory, I did have fun making a royal mess out the kitchen, breaking in "my" new food processor and it turns out, I'm not such a bad cook myself. I still can't calculate how much salt on plates as I do for sugar, but hey, it's a start.

New Toy for the Messy Kitchen!!!
Finally got one big enough!!!

You might think 11 hours is a bit much considering there are only 5 things on this menu (I still have next week to go, with another different set of desserts) but I don't have all the equipment necessary, so I had to mix up, batch up, wash up and do it all over again, several times. Thankfully, I do have enough baking pans to ease the work up a bit and save time. I finished around 8 o'clock in the evening and immediately went to my bed. I began to type, just to realize my legs ached to badly and my knee joints were crying. Yup, despite my kitchen shoes and being in the comfort of my home baking, it is arduous work, no matter what anyone says. Still, I had joined my brother, my sister and a family friend and caught the 9:45 screening of Percy Jackson. It did entertain me, but I was kinda disappointed. The Lightning Thief was much better, but that's just my opinion.

This Thursday morning greeted us all with a gloomy, gray sky: perfect weather to sit tight at home. I was so tired, I said no to working out and reluctantly got out of bed. 3 different cakes, an afternoon dessert tasting, a visit to the doctor and back home, I finally am enjoying a few precious moments of solitude. So, while I patiently wait for dinner and for it to be 10 o'clock, I bid you all a happy remainder of the week and I will see again Monday. It's a promise!!! Adieu!!!

Until next time.
xx

P.S. I'll be posting pictures and the recipe for the Cilantro Mousse on Monday's post!!!


Ginger Spice Cookies
Adapted from Epicurious

Seriously!!! I used the same picture because
you HAVE TO try the recipe!!!

Ingredients:
2 C. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 t. ground ginger
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2. t. salt
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1/4 C. butter (1/2 stick)
1 egg
1/4 C. molasses

Sugar

Preparation:
Combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in crystallized ginger. Using electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter 2 baking sheets. Spoon sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute. Carefully transfer to rack and cool. (Can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.) ENJOY!!!

1 comment: