Tuesday 24 September 2013

Friends, Roadtrips and Wedding Bells Ring

Hey Guys!!!

Welcome back!!! Despite it being Tuesday and that thought alone is depressing, I have to say I am very happy, although I'm half asleep and chugging coffee like there's no tomorrow. Two amazing friends are now joined for life as their beautiful wedding took place this past Saturday. Not to mention that I got to see friends I had not seen in three years and I don't think I have been as happy as I was this weekend in a very long time. 

Last week, my sister was celebrating her birthday. As you may recall, she hosted a lunch on Sunday, finishing with a huge German Chocolate cake, courtesy of yours truly. Yet on Wednesday, her celebration continued and as I ran last minute errand before I left to El Salvador on Thursday, I had cupcakes, a cake and banana breads to bake. So I anticipated my time and once I was showered and ready, I baked the cake layers and left to start my day. I got home a little after noon and got busy in the kitchen as soon as I could. The cupcakes were baked and soon after, three banana breads found themselves beautifully aligned in the oven. As I watched them rise, I dutifully assembled my sister's chocolate cake. I left in a hurry to buy a last minute souvenir and before I knew it, I was finishing off the cupcakes. I had next to no time to get ready for the dinner party and I still had to pack!!! 

The Birthday Girl

So, as you can imagine, dinner went well and I was in no packing mood when we go home a little after midnight. A feeling I deeply regret as next morning I had literally fifteen minutes to pack before an appointment at 8:30. And yes...I left half the stuff I thought I needed. Considering we left after 12 o'clock when we had been scheduled for 10:30, I was very moody. Everything was rushed for no reason and all I could think for the next couple of hours was my unfinished packing. Around 2:00 in the afternoon, the rain had started to pour down. We hadn't had lunch, so we stopped at the famous El Ocotal, en route south. I love rainy weather. It's just perfect, but I dread lightning and the sure-to-come-in-the-next-second thunder. It's a weird feeling, as I have never feared thunder. But the flash before it resonates in the sky is terrifying. 

We waited till the rain allowed visibility and once again we were on the road. We got to San Salvador at exactly 7:00 o'clock in the evening. In approximately 1 hour, we had to be ready for a welcome cocktail organized by the bride and groom's parents. I was almost ready when the most amazing knock on the door happened. Yup, my beloved friends were there and I could not contain my joy or screaming. I looked like a nut-job but hey, when happiness is around, you don't suppress it. In the end, only I made it to the bus that was waiting to take us to the event, but I had my friends. My sister and other traveling companions arrived later. It had been three years since I last saw over half my friends and despite it being a cocktail for the newlyweds, I think I might have been the happiest person that night. 


Still missing over half, but still
one of the greatest bunch of people I know

The following day, most of us made our way to Costa del Sol for a beach day. The day looked gloomy and gray, but it cleared by the time we got to the sea. Margaritas, ceviche and lots of laughter were the highlights of the day, as we reminisced, took thousands of pictures and toasted for the bride and groom. The hours passed by in the blink of an eye and as the sun went down, we were witnesses to one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever had the privilege to see. So, the night before the wedding was here. Most of the guys remained for a while longer, but we girls returned to the hotel for a late dinner and some beauty sleep. Tomorrow was the big day and we wanted to enjoy every second of it.


A magnificent, jaw-dropping sunset at Costa del Sol

We woke up rather early, my sister, a friend and I, and we decided some light shopping should fill our morning. We visited the Gran Via, where we also had lunch and bought delicious Chocolates to bring home. There's not much to tell, except our hairdressing appointment was approaching and we got a bit nervous. Three hours later, we were getting ready. The hour was 6:00 in the evening and the ceremony was at 7. Zipped up and all glammed out, we headed down to the beautifully decorated salon where the short ceremony took place. Few times had I heard a singer voice words live that sounded as beautiful and perfect as that night. Needless to say, I was tearing before the ceremony began. And then they came in. We were speechless. Ethereal and handsome and gleaming with joy, the newlyweds had all eyes on them. 

The service was short and soon they were declared husband and wife. The reception followed and the fun began. The newlyweds entered the party, drowned out amidst the cheering. The parents toasted their son and daughter, the brother gave a heartwarming, tearing speech and they danced to "A Thousand Years" sang spectacularly by one of the bridesmaids. Everyone joined in the dance floor and the night passed on to morning in short lived good time. 


It's dancing time!!!

Sadly, a few hours later, I found myself packing and saying goodbye to my lifelong friends and driving away. The trip seemed short as I slept through most of it. By 7 in the evening, I was back home, having a quick dinner and falling asleep. Monday morning seemed blue everywhere I looked. The sky was bleak and I groggily woke up, with sadness in my heart. My coffee helped tons and the day was soon over, giving way to my still sleepy eyes and head. 

And here we are now. Now, despite it being a culinary blog, my kitchen life really melds with my personal one. The banana bread was a hit and I'll be posting pictures and its recipe this coming week, so keep in tune. I wish you all a lovely week and we shall see each other soon.

Until next time.
xx

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention how spectacularly good and popular your baking is around your friends and how some stole your banana bread and even wanted to do business with you in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zelente Cito! You sure know how to make writing interesting! You definitely were someone else during the trip: A very very very Happy Person (Not that you are not! And about the Banana Bread (Pan de minimo) I can only say: WOW!

    ReplyDelete