Monday 29 April 2013

It's Mango Season: Off To Baking We Go

Happy Monday guys!!!

Well, the sky finally cracked. We woke up this morning to glistening streets and light spitting. The gray firmament and heavy clouds are a warm welcome to my sight. After weeks of sun and high temperatures, the climate has cooled down somewhat and I actually feel a little chilly. The Mountains here have certainly enjoyed the long overdue rain, and despite the power shortages, most of us are highly grateful for the drops of water that have fallen on our step. The sweet smell of earth and water fill the air. I certainly feel it'll be a good day. Call me gloomy if you like, but I am sucker for gray skies.

It's Mango Season!!!

Regardless of the previous post having been this past Friday, the words have come to me. I sit quietly in my room, contemplating my books, which I haven't read yet. I lay last night thinking it's about to be May, and I have not gotten around to reading any of them. A saddening thought. But you didn't come here to peruse about my reading woes. 

I spent Friday afternoon and early evening fixing up a Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake. Sounds divine doesn't it?  According to the reviews I got, it was. While the base of the cake was the old fashioned, never failing, Black Magic Cake, the frosting and salted caramel completed the full-flavored masterpiece. 

Overdose of chocolate heaven

The cake was picked later on Friday night and with no initial plans to head out, I stayed in and watched overdue episodes of Once Upon a Time. I love the show!!! Saturday morning I woke up early for no apparent reason. With nothing to do. I enjoyed my morning coffee, showered, had lunch and headed over to Grandma's house. Though we didn't stay for long, it's nice to see family. I made another Mango Tart Saturday afternoon, which was devoured on Sunday lunch at Grandma's. Did you try the recipe out? This time, the tart was much sweeter, as I used riper mangoes. Now, mangoes are a constant debate at home lately. Mainly because we got delivered a mountain of them from the farm orchard. My dad doesn't want to sell them and even though we have given tons away, the mountain seems eternal. Which had me thinking...I wanna make mango chutney. I've put off this idea for years now, with every mango season coming and going and me, of course, never actually doing. But this time, it's all gonna change. If I find the nigella seeds I need. Because they are native to South Asia, and not commonly, if not ever, used in our cuisine, it could be hard to find them. Still,  I am not willing to give up. Worst case scenario, they aren't used. I am intrigued by the flavor they might provide though. Sounds interesting. 

Pure Mango flavor, barely any sugar and super healthy!!!

Apart from the chutney, I am also going to be making mango jam/jelly/marmalade. I have never been sure of what the difference between the three are, if any. And no, I don't care if I am a pastry chef. I am not supposed to know everything, so don't judge. I can just picture it: fresh mango jam, with a slice of Manchego cheese, on top of smoked sausage bites on a cracker. If you have never done this, you haven't tried it all. It's so yummy!!!

On my menu today is birthday Carrot Cake, which never disappoints and the continued research on other mango desserts. I might make my dad finally break in his ice cream machine. He bought it months ago and hasn't used it. If I find an appealing mango ice cream recipe, I'll dig in. If not, I'll make my own. Not really sure about the latter option. Despite my experiments working out (most of the time that is), I've never made ice cream. I've only watched. So, this could be my first time. Anyhow, as you can read, mangoes are the source of inspiration of late, as the season is upon us and I have no idea of how to dispose of them quickly if not by cooking. So before they rot and fill our house with rotten fruit smells, I'd better hurry and bake 'em all. I think it's safe to say I won't be wanting mangoes until this time next year. 

So, while I go and start of with my carrot cake layers, why don't you try out the Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake? Yes? Sounds promising hehehe. The denuded gray sky barely shines, but hints bleak sunshine later on. Enjoy the recipe and I wish you a carefree, untroubled and happy week.

Until next time.
xx


Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Sunny Side Up

A true Chocolate Madness

Ingredients

Black Magic Cake**
2 c. sugar
1-3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. HERSHEY’S Cocoa
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk or sour milk*
1 c. strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract

*Make sour milk by adding a couple of 
drops of lemon/lime juice or vinegar

Salted Caramel**
1 c. sugar
6 T. unsalted butter
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 t. sea salt*

Nutella Cloud Frosting**
2 c. unsalted butter (4 sticks)
3 c. confectioner's sugar
1 T. plus 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
2/3 c. Nutella hazelnut spread
2 T. milk
pinch of salt

Preparation:

Black Magic Cake:
Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9" round springform pans. 
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add
eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes (the
batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 1o minutes; remove from pans to
wire racks. Cool completely.

**Original Black Magic Cake from My Baking Addiction

Salted Caramel:
Prepare a direct caramel on a large saucepan, swirling the pan slowly to allow equal melting of the sugar. Do not whisk it. Brush a little water around the edges to avoid crystallization. Once the caramel has a nice amber color, add the butter and incorporate well. Remove from heat and add the cream. Mix well until no white streaks are left. Add half the salt. Cool completely. Add the remaining salt and incorporate well.

*I added only half the salt. If you find the salty flavor doesn't come out, add the remaining. This is according to personal tastes.
** Original Recipe from The Purple Foodie

Nutella Cloud Frosting:
In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sifted confectioners sugar for about 1 minute.  Add the vanilla, and beat on low for another 30 seconds. Add the melted and slightly cooled chocolate and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until smooth. Add the Nutella, milk, and a pinch of salt, and beat on medium-high speed for another minute.

**Original Recipe from Sweetapolita

Assembly:
Cut the two cake layers in half. Place one half of one cake on the cardboard cake round. Drizzle about 1/3 cup of caramel sauce over the entire surface, use a spatula to evenly distribute. Top with a good heaping spoonful of frosting and spread to the edges. Repeat with the next 2 layers.
Place the 4th and final cake layer. Frost the top and sides and with the remainder of the frosting. Drizzle caramel sauce about the edge, all around the top of the cake (I started about 2 inches from the edge and poured the caramel while turning the turn table, working my way to the edge). The sauce should start to work it’s way over the edge and drip down the sides, but if it doesn’t you can use the back of a spoon or a spatula to give it a nudge. Finally, sprinkle the caramel with a little bit of sea salt and garnish with bonbons, Ferrero Rocher halves or any other round chocolates you like. 
*I did not sprinkle sea salt on the top. I also garnished the cake with gold sprinkles and toffee bits. As you can see, I opted for the bonbons. I used to eat them as a child very often. They are quite tasty. The cake really allows you to experiment with anything, just as long as you understand is fully packed with chocolate.







No comments:

Post a Comment