Friday 26 April 2013

Weekly Bakes, Disaster Cakes and Other Messy Stories

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. A little late on this week's post, but I am here now. Last week was an extremely busy week in the kitchen for me. While the week started off quite calmly, come Thursday I found myself with several cake orders and sleepy eyes. With much on my mind, it was hard to keep focus on my baking skills and work and I paid a heavy price for it. 


I cried...I actually cried.

Thursday evening, I arrived home and set about to bake a small batch of Lemon Delights. In a matter of minutes (thanks to my already-made dough and filling), the batch was in the oven, calmly baking. Once cooled, I packed them up and went to bed. Sleep eluded me and soon it was Friday. I woke up pretty early and so began my long day. I had to bake 2 vanilla cakes (five layers in total), plus 50 vanilla and chocolate cupcakes and 4 chocolate cake layers. The three-layered vanilla cake came first. Ingredients were weighed and mixed, divided equally by weight into the prepared 8" pans and into the oven they went. While there were problems with the electricity and power (kept going on and off), the cakes looked fine and smelled divine. 35 minutes later, they were out. I am guessing my face said it all when I was asked what's wrong? The cakes had a sunken middle, all three. It bothered me to the 9th degree but I decided it be okay, as I would level them off eventually. So, while these babies cooled, I moved on to the vanilla cupcakes. It really wasn't my day. The delicious batter was ready and then came the daunting task of dividing it into the cupcake liners. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I CANNOT BAKE CUPCAKES!!! 


After a second trial, they are perfect in my book

Some people just have it in them. I can bake cakes but not cupcakes. And how is that possible you ask? Well, if you have the answer, email it right over, because I have no idea. They looked like flatten mushrooms. The batter had risen too much, covering the liners and the actual pan. I used a small palette knife to release the baked batter off. Because only 6 of the 30 I made actually looked decent, there was no way around but to bake them again.  I took a deep breath and returned to my baked vanilla cake layers, which were pretty cool by then. I turned them over and guess what happened? They all stuck to the pans. Yup! All three layers. It was just to much for me. I needed a break. The stress was killing me. I simply sat and broke down. While sore tears ran down my cheeks, I realized we all have bad days. So, I took my unfinished coffee (still warm thanks to my coffee thermos thingy) to my bed and I lay down to catch up on Supernatural. I enjoyed my quick lunch in bed as well. I felt like dozing off, but I wouldn't have finished my duties. 


Don't they look pretty?!?!

3 p.m.. I put my apron, turned up the music, preheated the oven, prepared the pans, weighed the ingredients and it was on. I was determined to not let the mistakes of the morning get to me. My smile was priceless when the first vanilla layers came out. Perfection (although nonexistent) was the only word that came to mind. Beautifully golden, baked and smelling of vanilla. I changed my recipes, for both the cakes and the cupcakes and it was the right choice. I started with the chocolate cupcakes this time and I even wowed myself when they came out looking like magazine photo cupcakes. I had gotten a call earlier, reducing the number of cupcakes, a detail I was more than happy to oblige with. So I baked a lesser number, with petite cakes to spare for home. Almost immediately I baked the vanilla ones, and while they didn't look as amazing as the chocolate ones, they still had a perfection stamp in my books. I quickly baked the remaining vanilla layers and I finally sat down. My sister had ordered the famous Kit-Kat chocolate bar cake, but despite our efforts, they were in vain, as the hot temperatures did nothing to sustain the fragile cake. In the end, we decided to cover the cake with M&M's, held perfectly with the help of delicious Nutella, which also served to fill the layers. I haven't heard the verdict on this experiment. Although, I have to admit, you would have to be a chocoholic to the ninth degree to truly savor the richness of the cake.


Colorful and packed with chocolatey richness


The remaining layers I would bake Sunday. All that was missing was the frosting and filling of the cakes. With a tired body, I was out like a light. The alarm clock rang but I changed the alarm time and managed to keep my eyes shut for another hour. 8 o'clock was the time and I needed to wake up now. The hours flew by and by 12 p.m. the cupcakes were ready and packed and a vanilla caramel cake was visiting the fridge for a few minutes to settle the drizzled caramel.. I got ready to head out to a birthday BBQ (where I would take the Vanilla Caramel Cake) and I left, delivering the cupcakes on the way. It was nice to see the cake was devoured and enjoyed. The time to leave came rather soon and I headed home peacefully. I cannot recall at what time I slept, but the alarm clock was ringing. The day seemed rather grayish, despite the bleak rays of sunshine that came and went. I began my work. I baked  the layers for the two German Chocolate Cakes and diligently, the work was done. It took me the entire day, for lack of equipment and the friendly company we had over for lunch. By 8 o'clock Sunday evening, my work was done and albeit my tiredness, I packed my small bag. My mom and I were heading to another city in the morning. While my trip was merely of company and relaxation, I helped her and her team whenever needed to complete the program and the events it encompassed. 


Despite the setbacks, a good job overall

I took advantage of the trip to supply myself with much needed equipment (pans, spatulas, cupcake liners, etc...). The sun blazed across the sky for the three days we spent there, and the high degree temperature could not be evaded. Still, we managed to finish the events on a high note. Thursday morning we headed out, barely stopping on the way and in no time, I was back home. The temperature back home is still hot but in lesser degrees, something I am thankful for. The sky is friendly this Friday morning and while I gladly enjoy my coffee in my favorite mug, while listening to my mom's staff discuss future events, I have to say, life is great. It truly is. On my agenda for today is a Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake, which I am eager to make. With this, I take my leave and wish you all a happy weekend.

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment