Monday 20 January 2014

Writer's Block, Baker's Block...Be Kind 2014

Hi Guys!!!

Welcome back!!! It's well past mid-January and to my surprise, this is the latest I've ever delayed a post. It seems 2014 and I got off on the wrong foot. I hope you enjoyed your holidays and are settling into your routines nicely. I managed to enjoy of couple of days without baking back in December. My weeks had been very busy with many orders to bake and deliver. But it was worth it. As you saw, I was able to decorate some sugar cookies quite nicely and it was my very time, so I was very proud. My sister enjoyed it as well. She said it was relaxing. 

Now, going back to 2013, I was asked to make a trial Tres Leches cake for a restaurant. I was initially anxious, as I had never made one before, and I am not particularly a fan of it...too sweet. But I obliged and got fairly positive reviews. Earlier this year, it was a go and I began to cater for them with 2 cakes per week. However, I've had to tweak the recipe a couple of times now, as there seems to be something not right every time. I honestly have no idea how to improve the cake, so if you have any ideas or advice, please do share. I've used my adapted version of The Pioneer Woman's Tres Leches. So far, the cake is either, too dry, too sweet or some other reason. The first time, too sweet and dry.  I tried reducing the amount I poured over the cake: too dry. I added more milk, let the cake bake for less time for a spongier cake...if I fix something, some other thing goes wrong. I adapted the liquid measure to less condensed milk, more evaporated milk and more heavy cream. I guess the saying "practice makes perfect" fits just right. I'll perfect the cake at some point.

Tres Leches...with a cherry on top hehehe

And guess what? I'll be turning a whooping 25 this coming Sunday and although I have never been particularly eager to celebrate my birthdays in the past, a quarter of a lifetime (assume 100 years is the goal) is quite something to celebrate. Back in September, I had a design in mind for my 25th birthday cake. It would depict all my favorite characters from different books, TV shows and movies. However, I have come to realize that cake is best left for another time, as I should have started working on it already. I can still save it for my 50th, right? Truth be told...my creative spark, alongside my writing inspiration have abandoned me for the better part of January, however, a little seems to be seeping in every day...hence the post, right? 

I've been meaning to try out new summery desserts. Here in Honduras, our seasons are different. We have only two: dry summers and wet winters. Summer is approaching and the hot weather is right around the corner. But, I do have a head start in my experiments, as we are currently experiencing a wave of cold fronts. How do you feel about lemons and oranges? Or coconut and pineapple? They are perfect matches and I hope I come up with a some brilliant desserts to glorify my dessert fridge at the cafe. After all, the great thing about being head chef and co-owner is I call the shots. Talk about power...Which reminds me: I was interviewed this month on my short culinary career and new business adventures and it's coming out next month. So here's the preview:

I'll post the actual magazine publication when it comes out.

Anyway, I wish you all a happy week and keep coming back. I'll make sure I keep my posts on time.

Until next time.
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment