Thursday 30 January 2014

25 Birthdays Later...Here We Are

Hi Guys!!!

Welcome back!!! We are now on the last week of January. Time seems to be slipping away and I have yet to even begin on my New Year's Resolutions...not surprising right? I'm certain I am not the only one. 

Copa Cafe...try it next time you're in town

On side note, I turned 25 years old this past Sunday. I mentioned last time that I am not a fan of celebrating my birthday. There's just something awkward about the entire occasion. But 25 seems like a milestone, so I decided it needed to be commemorated. And although there was as slight dilemma with the cake, all in all, my birthday could not have gone any better. Thank you Mom. The chocolate cake was delicious!

Last week, was also my best friend's birthday. Seeing as she is in merry ol' London, all I could do was send her flowers. And so I ordered flowers online to be delivered to her, alongside a package of candy. However, the delivery people failed to follow the instructions left (call her as she works during the day) and left the flowers on the street. So, of course, they got stolen. I was a bit more than disappointed and even wrote a rather nasty email. But luckily, my brain kicked in and I realized that being rude wouldn't get me anywhere. So I rewrote the email and it seems that my judgement call was right, as they have agreed to redeliver the flower package at their own cost. Lesson learned: never make rash decisions or rant out when you're angry. It doesn't do anything for you. Hopefully the new delivery doesn't get stolen. 

Pure Decadence

Going back to 2013, for Christmas, I made a Sherry Almond Trifle (a recipe I had been wanting to try out for years...YEARS!!!) and a Christmas Dulce de Leche Wreath. Some found the trifle a tad too sweet and soaked in liquour...hehehe. I really liked it, in small portions of course. It does pack a punch. The wreath, on the other hand, was a hit! Choux paste piped into rings, hollowed out once baked, filled with dulce de leche, toasted almonds, and whipped cream...wow. Just wow. The dessert is filled with flavor and surprisingly, light on the palate. It was the right amount of sweetness and on the messy side, just my kind of dessert. My aunt ordered one for a dinner and her guests were absolutely stunned by it. Not a praise to me or my baking, but the dessert on itself, it was gone by morning. I most definitely recommend you to try it!

Try it!!!

I also made another beautiful rose cake for a small wedding. It's the first wedding cake I've made, with tried out recipes, so I was confident in my skills. My mom kept asking if I got the correct size, if I was sure that was the cake the customers asked for, making me nervous in the process. In the end, I got both right, and although I didn't hear any comments, I take it as a good sign. At least no one complained.  Other than the few personal orders, my routine is pretty much the same; baking the same cakes for the cafe. It does become a bit boring at times, but you have to bake what sells. On a brighter note, I have been working on a menu for February that is sure to shake up my routine. Let's just pray I have enough time and equipment to fill up that fridge. 

Roses really are elegant

I am happy that so far, the year has gone smooth and things are most definitely falling into place. This time, last year, I was a mess, trying to find a job, slightly depressed (I hate packing and moving). My nomad days seem over (sadly)...contradictory...I know, but that's just me, hehehehe a complete mess. At 25, I have two degrees (if being a Chef counts, which of course, it does), part-ownership of a business and a fully running kitchen. So far, so good.

To the next 25!!!

I apologize...yet again...for my late posts and I shall try harder to keep up with the schedule! Good night and have a great weekend!!!

Until next time.
xx

Dulce de Leche Wreath
Adapted from Good Housekeeping

Perfect anytime of the year

  • Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C. sliced almonds
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 C. water
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 C. all-purpose-flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 C. heavy cream
  • 1 can (13.4-ounce) dulce de leche
  • 2 T. confectioners' sugar
  • Strawberries, for garnish
  • Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using an 8" plate or 
cake pan as a guide, trace a circle on parchment paper.

On a jelly roll pan, spread almonds in single layer. Toast 4 to 5 minutes or until golden 
brown, stirring occasionally. Cool almonds in pan on a wire rack.

On a large saucepan, heat butter, water and salt to boiling on medium-high. Reduct heat to medium-low and add flour. Stir continously 1 minute or until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a ball. Continue stirring 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture begins to coat bottom of pan. Transfer to large mixing bowl and cool 2 minutes.

With mixer on medium speed, beat mixture for about a minute. Continue beating and add eggs, 1 at a time, then beat to 2 to 3 minutes longer or until satiny. The mixture should still be warm and cling to the side of the bowl. Congrats! You successfully made Choux Paste!

Transfer dough to large piping bag fitted with 3/4" plain tip or to large self-sealing plastic bag with one corner cut to form 3/4" hole.

Using the traced circle as a guide, pipe dough onto parchment on cookie sheet in 1" thick ring just inside the circle. Pipe a second ring inside of first, making sure the rings touch. With the remaining dough, pipe a third ring on top of the center seam of the first two rings. With a moistened finger, gently smooth dough rings where ends meet.

Bake for 20 minutes. Reset the oven to 375F and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove wreath from the oven; with the tip of a small knife, make several small slits all over to release steam. Bake for 10 minutes longer. Cool the wreath completely on the cookie sheet on a wire rack.

While the wreath cools, whisk cream until soft peaks form. In a large bowl, with mixer or a wooden spoon, beat dulce de leche for 5 minutes or until soft. Gently fold in the toasted almonds into the dulce de leche. With a long serrated knife, slice the wreath horizontally in half. Remove and discard the moist dough from inside. With a spatula, spread the almond mixture into bottom of wreath; top with the whipped cream and replace top of wreath.

Dust wreath with confectioner's sugar and garnish with strawberries and mint leaves. 




No comments:

Post a Comment