Monday 8 July 2013

Greetings from Guatemala!!!

Hi Guys!!!

Greetings from beautiful and sunny Guatemala!!! I trust you all had a relaxing weekend. For some, summer has arrived, but for us, winter is midway through. Though it hasn't stopped us from enjoying our days. Despite the occasional rain, the trip has been fun, food-filled and entertaining. Being a tourist is certainly rewarding.

Guatemalan woman weaving necklaces


Anyhow, last week, after some serious nagging by my brother, I was finally talked into baking an apple pie. I hadn't made one since the disaster I created on New Year's Eve. This one wiped that memory clean (more or less).


Apple Pie in the Making

However, the pie was not enjoyed at home. My mother informed me at the last minute that she needed a dessert for a lunch meeting and since there was a freshly baked, untouched pie, she persuaded my brother to let her have it, and I would have to bake another one later (otherwise, I'd never hear the end of it.) So she took that pie and I baked another. I also baked one other Lemon-Blueberry cake and the Rose Cake. Both got amazing reviews and that's all I could ask for. 

Some serious pie love

Wednesday, at dawn, we found ourselves on our way to Guatemala. We took the bus this time, and although it takes more time, it's actually a nice ride. We stopped and spent the night in El Salvador and continued our journey Thursday morning. By noon, we had entered the city and settled in the hotel. We headed out a while after to enjoy a Dim Sum lunch that actually disappointed, but hey, it happens. The remainder of the day we spent at the mall. In the evening, we joined family friends for a vibrant night, having dinner at the popular restaurant Carmen. After a long meal of shrimp filled, gratin portobello mushrooms, grilled vegetables and platters of meat, the food coma was expected. Be sure to stop by when you come visit.

Check it out:
Carmen
4TA Avenida 12-09 y 12-59 | Local 1F y 2F Zona 10
Plaza Fontabella
Guatemala City, GUATEMALA

Friday was a long and short day, as the most eventful thing involved a trip to the supermarket. As you may already know, I LOVE going grocery shopping, and time spent at the market is time well spent. I almost died of shock when I gazed upon the short aisles of fruits and veggies. The supermarkets back home seem dull and empty compared to these (but not really). I am sad to say I felt jealous of the vast variety they have here. Now, call me naive, but never had I ever laid sight on a purple potato. Red, yes. Yellow, yes. Even white, but never purple. Only in chips, but the actual root is far more impressive. I can't wait to try the ones we bought.

Isn't it beautiful!!!

Early Saturday morning, we made our way to Antigua, Guatemala, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With breathtaking sceneries and historical features, the bewitching, old city is a treasure to behold. It was my third time visiting and it still fails to lose its charm. The day was well spent, touring around the cobble-stoned streets, picking up souvenirs and enjoying a delicious lunch at El Sabor del Tiempo, a popular and famous restaurant in the center of town. With a varied Italian/International menu, we got to enjoy several dishes, among them, a lovely Rabbit Stew. I, myself, had the pleasure to savor a delicious Duck Magret, served with garlic roasted tomatoes, oven roasted potatoes, caramelized onions and an exquisite plum sauce. Definitely a place to visit if you're in town.

Duck Magret in Plum Sauce...moutwatering, right?

Check it out:
El Sabor del Tiempo
3a Calle Poniente and Calle del Arco
Antigua, GUATEMALA
(502) 7832-0516

Sunday, after a long sleep, we visited a traditional craftsmanship market in the capital city. It is hard to leave the place without wanting to take everything with you. The labor and dedication of the people is admirable, with truly magnificent detailed work. We had a late lunch at a steak house in the market and we came straight back to the hotel. The weekend was slightly exhausting, and sleep came early for us. 

Greetings from Antigua

This Monday has been calm, running casual errands and enjoying the lively city. We've just arrived from catching Despicable Me 2 at the theatre. With happy hearts, we bid this day adieu, and can only hope for a better day tomorrow and the remainder of our trip. I wish you all a wonderful week.

Until next time.
xx

P.S. I owe you the pie recipe!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment