Monday 1 July 2013

Baking Blues

Hi Guys!!!

Welcome back. We greet July on this gloomy morning and while I drink my hot coffee and gleam with joy over some happy wedding news, I contemplate the unproductiveness of my past week. Cake orders have been short, but summer is not always the best baking season. Though it doesn't prevent the kitchen from being a complete mess. 

I am very sorry to say that my thoughtful attempts of baking something magnificent for my 50th blog post went down the drain, as I did not plan anything. I want something spectacular, so it'll have to wait until the 100th post. It gives me plenty of time think and experiment. On the baking front, this week will be cut short as I join family members on a weeklong trip to our neighboring country: Guatemala. A beautiful, delicious and popular Rose Cake will make a girlfriend very happy this coming Wednesday and you'll have to wait (sadly) for two weeks until my dainty (chubby) fingers create something delectable and eye pleasing.

Now, this past week I was very happy to learn that the small lemon orchard in our backyard has given fruit. I was delighted to use fresh, organic and homegrown lemons in my lemon curd to fill two fabulous Lemon-Blueberry cakes. Sure, they look like limes, but they're actually lemons. The vibrant green brought color to our kitchen.

Homegrown and organic

While I suffer silent baking blues, my coffee releases a bitter taste, which brings me to think it's just one of those days. My blueberry-banana smoothie was great this morning, and yesterday's review on the Lemon-Blueberry cake was fantastic, but I still sit here and contemplate on the vast emptiness of the creative void I experience. I thought it was back, but it was a mere illusion. Perhaps this trip came at the perfect time. Getting away and embarking on what will be a cultural and culinary journey (for me at least, although the country is not new to me) is the ideal way to get those sparks of imagination flying. 

I told you sometime in the past, that a great way to reinvent yourself is to keep journals and lists. While I go back and forth on this idea (I never stick to writing daily), it seems to me, it'll be the only way to keep track of my thoughts and those moments of epiphany that emerge in the most random instants. So far, I can recall one experiment I have in mind. A chocolate roulade keeps haunting me and perhaps when I come back, it'll manifest itself.

Later on today, I'll be baking an ever-pleasing apple pie and perhaps a blueberry pound cake. Mmm...mouthwatering...but this damn coffee is ruining my day, so I take my leave to throw it away and fix myself another one, but not before wishing you all a lovely week and I promise you, my following posts will not disappoint!!!

Until next time.
xx 

P.S...sorry about the short post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment