Monday 15 July 2013

Back to Baking

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. Once again, I am back home and the cake orders have started to pour in. Good business, right? For once, I am actually happy it's Monday. There's much to do this week and many friends to catch up with. The golden sun and blue, clear sky makes it better of course. With sad eyes, a portion of us left Guatemala, but we will be reunited again this coming weekend. However, I acquired certain culinary gadgets I cannot wait to break in. 

Roses being sold at the entrance of the market.

But let's back up for a second. During one of our last days, we visited a typical market in the center of the city. It's a bit of a shock to see a market so clean and organized these days. The fruit and vegetable section is an eye opener, with fresh produce on display, amicable people ready to wait on you and offering you tips and whatnot. On the eve of our leaving, we made reservations at Tamarindo's, a popular restaurant in the "Zona Viva" of Guatemala City. We had heard a great deal about the place from friends and family and to finish our lovely trip on a high note, we of course, dined out.  The place was packed, so thankfully we had a reservation. The atmosphere was lively and we couldn't wait to try out the food.

Be sure to make a reservation!!! (this one was for 40 pax)

Usually, as a family, we tend to order several starters for all to try and then each orders a main course. Most of the time, there's no room for dessert, but that's okay. This time, we each ordered a starter and a main course. The menu is quite varied and with so much to choose from, it's hard not to want to order everything. Still, we all ordered different appetizers and had a small bite off eat. I happily ordered a Portobello Mushroom with a Blue Cheese Sauce to begin with and I was glad I did. Since it was quite a large mushroom, I had no problem slicing it off in several pieces for all to try. It certainly did not disappoint. It only opened my appetite. With a rather unfortunate choice of wine, I awaited my main course. It came not long after. Pan Seared Tuna with a Soy-Mirin sauce; yup, mouthwatering and flavorful. I was obviously in a food coma afterwards, but it was worth it. 

Check it out:
Tamarindo's
11 calle 2-19 A zona 10
Guatemala City, GUATEMALA
00 (502) 23605630

We departed early next morning and by noon, we had reached San Salvador. We briefly stopped by the mall, but by 3 o'clock, we were out like a light. Plans had been made for the evening and by 8 o'clock, I was happily sipping on good wine at Merkato. The place is quite nice and has a great wine selection. My cousin ordered the bottle, a soft Malbec: Las Perdices Reserva Don Juan. Try it out if you come across it.  To accompany the wine, we ordered Patatas Bravas, a yummy prosciutto with burrata and a caramelized onion, almond and brie flat bread. 

Check it out:
Merkato
Avenida Las Acacias y pasaje #2, No 117, Colonia San Benito.
San Salvador, EL SALVADOR
00 (503) 2243-8662

The evening passed by blissfully and by next afternoon, we were on our way home. The bus ride took forever as there were a couple of accidents on the road, and I was home by 10:30 at night. 

Looking divine...still needs adjustment

Saturday involved visiting the supermarket to replenish my pantry and baking. A carrot cake and a lemon pie were on the menu. I still need to perfect the lemon pie, as there are still some trivial things that annoy me. So far there have been no complaints, so I guess I am on the right path. Sunday was a quiet day. I delivered the cakes and the afternoon meant lots of TV time. We watched World War Z last night and I think it's safe to say, I'll be having frequent nightmares. 

But anyhow...this week I have some chocolate on mind and we'll see what new orders come my way. I bid you farewell and wish you a great week.


Until next time.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment