Tuesday 1 January 2013

Welcome 2013!!!

Hi guys and welcome back!!!

Today we greet the new year. 2012 was a memorable one and we can only hope this year is the same or better. I apologize for my short post yesterday, but it was just non-stop. Today has been a quiet day. Sadly, I have come down with a cold yet again, and I greeted the 2013 with a happy heart and a sore throat. Nevertheless, I am sure it will be a great one. There's just so much to look forward to.

Last week, we celebrated Christmas around the world. At home, we hosted a gift exchange between our parents and us. We didn't have a Christmas Eve dinner at our house as we celebrated the occasion at my grandmother's house. So we proceeded with the exchange and happily enough, my dad was my benefactor. My dad's benefactor was my brother, who presented him with a long wanted brown jacket and a new addition to our family. Guys, we now have 8 doggies, the last one a beautiful hush puppy we named Chewbacca. It was a funny moment but my father was very happy. 

My dad, Chewie and my brother. He was surprised.
She's 3 months old.

We headed to dinner and accordance with expectations I presented my desserts. It was a joyous evening and at midnight we welcomed baby Jesus into the world with fireworks and wine. Shortly after, we sat down for an unforgettable feast: turkey, honey-baked ham, sweet potatoes, salad, gravy, jam, cranberry sauce, bread and wine. It was followed by my Cranberry, Pistachio and Orange Roulade, which was a hit, thank the Lord. A total of 31 people sat down for dinner. 

My beautiful roulade...rather flat,
but delicious nonetheless

Christmas day was a calm. Relatives came over and we sat down for a Christmas lunch, which was equally delicious as the night before. The turkey was accompanied by mashed sweet potatoes, potato salad, pistachio and greens salad, and cranberry sauce. We were all stuffed by the end of the meal, that half of us went to sleep and we forgot about the dessert. The cheesecake was served at dinner later. 

Scrumptiously delicious hehehe...it's cranberry season

I am part of a big family and most of the cousins got together for a night of fun and games. We played Cranium and charades. If you're part of a big family, you can understand how noisy it gets when half of you are sitting together, playing against each other. The games lasted until 3 am on the 26th. I spent Wednesday running errands, paid a visit to the dentist (my choppers are in perfect condition), and baked fruitcakes. Thursday I left my house early to run some errands and met with high school friends for some good Peruvian food for lunch. The evening turned into a small high school wine night, reminiscing on school times. Friday morning I woke up with an extremely sore throat and spent most of the day in bed. 

Saturday I enjoyed my day at home and went out with friends at night. Sunday morning I woke up feeling ill again and I spent the day researching desserts and recipes. I woke up very early on the 31st, and went grocery shopping. I came back home and spent the entire day in the kitchen, baking, baking, baking. I baked two pavlovas, made rum balls, a chocolate mousse/brownie cake, poached pears in wine, baked an apple pie and wrapped up the fruitcakes and delivered them. It was a busy, busy day and disappointment came swiftly after my first New Year's Eve dinner, here at home. I have baked apple pies every year, almost every month, and for the first time, something went wrong with the crust. It was saddening, considering I am a chef, but the guests enjoyed it and I guess that's what counts. 

Dinner included a beer-basted pork leg, mandarin and asparagus salad, wild rice, regular rice, and my mom's version of a Russian salad. The apple pie followed and soon after, we headed over to my grandmother's house for the New Year's festivities. It happened to be that Christmas Eve, food had seemed to be on the short side, meaning for the first time in years, there were no leftovers. This time, everyone who cooked, prepared even more food and many family members did not join. This included me: two pear pavlovas and over 3 dozen rum balls. Well, when it comes to leftovers, the more the merrier, as we enjoy delectable lunches the day after. 

Dinner is served!!!

The clock struck twelve and we the fireworks bellowed.  My second New Year's Eve feast included a huge turkey, pork leg, gravy, rice and lentils, potato salad, beetroot salad, and some of us enjoyed tamales. Some had whiskey, some had rum, some had Sambuca, and it was all fun. Coffee and dessert followed and the pavlova was a major hit. I was worried it wouldn't get eaten and boy was I wrong. The remaining pavlova was quartered and taken home by my aunt, my cousin and my grandmother was left with a two pieces. It was my first pavlova ever and I was very happy with the result. I didn't try it, but my mom assures me it was delicious. The rum balls taste really nice and I think the recipe is a definite keeper. 

My first ever: Pear Pavlova

Today has been a slow and quiet day. The house has been silent, the habitants sleeping most of the day, this includes me. I'm about to enjoy a leftover's dinner and I am very excited!!! I guess there was no better way to close the year, surrounded by family with my friends in my heart. Welcome 2013!!! We hope you bring the very best.

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment