Monday 14 January 2013

Experimental Cakes and other Messy Stories

Hi guys!!!

And welcome back. Hope you all had a relaxing weekend. We're starting the third week of January and I'm still forgetting it's 2013. I keep referring to 2011 as last year and that was ages ago. I'll get used to it eventually...

Last week I ran a series of experiments when it came to my baking. My sister ordered two cakes: two different cakes. She's not into the conventional two layered cakes, cheesecakes and anything ordinary, but she wasn't sure of what exactly it was she wanted. After deliberating on the subject, I decided to first make a variation of a White Silk Raspberry Tart by Betty Crocker: a recipe that is among my top recipes and is a true keeper. 

Chocolate Silk Tart (my version)

The recipe is quite easy and the result is fantastic. With a chocolate creme-filled sandwich cookies crust and a chocolate, cream cheese and heavy cream filling, the taste is just WOW. I went ahead and modified it to make it more chocolatey. I used 28 sandwich cookies for the base and I doubled the amount of filling, substituting the white chocolate for bittersweet chocolate. It sat in the fridge overnight and the following day I adorned the top with 3 medium sized strawberries. I proceeded to cube more strawberries and slightly cooked them with lemon juice and sugar, until they released their own juice and I was left with a cooked and macerated berry. After straining the cubed fruit, I spooned it around the whole strawberries.

Check it out:

While the Chocolate Silk Tart rested in the fridge, still waiting to be decorated, I commenced my second experiment. I decided to make Martha Stewart's Chocolate Meringue Cake. It seemed elegant and different enough for my sister's taste so I baked it. While the chocolate cake base was baking, I made the meringue (it had chopped hazelnuts and chocolate incorporated). When the timer rang, I removed it from the oven and spooned and leveled the meringue on top and returned it to the oven for another 30 minutes. I just the love the looked of meringues as soon as they emerge from the oven: all puffed up and shiny. But like most goods, the initial rise falls. I have to admit, it is not the most elegant cake to look at when you are to serve it, but as soon as you slice it up, you are able to appreciate the work put into it, as you see the chocolate and chewy meringue middle melt together. I was informed it was quite tasty.

Chocolate Meringue Cake

Check it out:

When she looked at both cakes, she was impressed and yes, despite the Chocolate Meringue cake not being esthetically appealing, she said it looked good. I was glad to know I didn't disappoint when I heard both cakes were amazing. I already have a future cake order for the Chocolate Silk Tart and as a constant user of the recipe, I can't say I blame them.  Try them for your self and tell me what you think. 

Back to basics!!! Chocolate Chip/Pecan Cookies :)

Thursday morning I baked chocolate chip/pecan cookies, on my sister's request. The recipe yielded over 3 dozen cookies. By the end of the day, there were 10 left. I'm guessing people enjoyed them. I haven't been out that much since I've been here, but Thursday I took the opportunity to watch Life of Pi when I joined my cousin, my sister and her boyfriend. If you haven't watched this cinematographic masterpiece, I suggest you do. I haven't read the book and it is probably, infinitely better than the film, but it's a must-watch. It has this magic that just keeps you intrigued and although overall, the story is a sad one, it makes you feel there is much more to life that you actually think. 

The same evening, my sister ordered another cake and at 7:3o pm she ran to the supermarket to pick up various ingredients to make Martha Stewart's Triple Chocolate Cheesecake. I cannot tell you how many things went wrong with this cake. I pointed out she didn't like cheesecakes and she said this one sounded good. So around 9:00 pm I was well into the making of it, having informed my customer she failed to get me the chocolate cookies required. In the end, it was a Double Chocolate Cheesecake. The cake was baked and it required and extra hour inside the oven, with the door closed. I was dead tired and I left her with the instructions to remove it after an hour, let it cool and place it inside the refrigerator. 

My mother kindly informed me the following morning that the cake had not spent the night cold and I had the surprise of a lifetime as I gazed upon my chocolate creation for the first time. It was completely cracked, all the way into the middle in three different parts. I was shocked. Never had I ever seen a cheesecake like that and sadly I did not take a picture for you to ogle at. I should have, as it is a learning experience. My mom told me it tasted divine. I have to definitely try the recipe again to determine what exactly it is I did wrong (apart from not keeping it overnight in the fridge). The taste is genuinely great, and I suggest you try it and let me know. :)

Check it out:

I told my sister there was no way she was to give that cake away and so I made another cake: a different one. She asked what it was and briefly I replied an apple cake. 
     
         "An apple pie?!" she asked, incredulously. 

I said no! Apple CAKE!!! I told her to please leave the kitchen and to trust me. She obliged and was much pleased with the result.

Scrumptious!!! Delicious!!!
Apple Spice Cake 

This cake I've made several times before, the very first for my dad's 59th birthday. It is a rather small, 8" cake, but packed with flavor. The recipe is true and the only small modification I make is not adding the currants. The recipe also calls for walnuts and I didn't have any at the moment, I used pecans, which work wonderfully. As it is a small cake, you don't require as much frosting as a 9" cake but still, there were times I felt the frosting wouldn't be enough. I can't recall if I'd made a recipe and a half in the past, but I made use of every last gram of it. I covered it completely, but if you feel unsure, I suggest you make a recipe and a half. I decorated it with the candied pecans and I sprinkled cinnamon on top. It looked regal.

Check it out:

As you can read, it was quite an experimental week in baking, and it was definitely fun. Friday night we gathered at my aunt's house for a farewell party for my cousin who's in college. We ate so much and laughed so much, I felt like a little kid again. I like to emphasize trying never to lose your inner child. You may not know it, but time flies and we're all getting older. Laughter makes you feel younger. We left around midnight, all tired and we wished Carol a safe flight. 

Saturday morning I decided our seven dogs needed a bath. My mom was busy, my dad refused and my sisters were MIA. So I bathed them, alone, for the very first time. I told my mom it was also my very last time. It was fun, dirty and smelly and by the end, I wasn't sure who was cleaner or who was dirtier: my doggies or me. They smelled great, that's for sure. As to cleanliness...my sister has her doubts. 

Yummy PARRILLADA:
beef, pork, chicken, rustic chorizo,refried beans, cheese,
avocado, cream, rice, and tortillas!!!

Sunday I joined my grandmother (a fabulous woman I must add), my aunt, my sister and my cousins on a mini-trip to the town of Valle de Angeles (literal translation: valley of angels). If you've ever been to Honduras, you've surely been there. A truly beautiful and artisan place, filled with rich culture and great food. We had lunch at La Casa de Las Abuelas, an old house transformed into a restaurant, with a historical background. We were greeted kindly, seated promptly and although the service was a tad slow, the food itself was really good. My grandma was pleased and that gives the place points. Trust me!

Check it out:

We didn't stay for much longer after lunch, and soon we were on our way back home. We stopped to my delight at a plant nursery and I took the opportunity to take pictures of the view and landscape. It was breathtaking. I miss London and it's hustle and bustle but there really is no place like home. I hate to brag, but we live in a beautiful country. Life here in Honduras isn't that much different to other places. True, we're still a developing country and our transportation systems aren't models of perfection, but you see the same kind of people working day to day, trying to make a living, like in any other place in the world. 

Breathtaking...

After a thousand plants were bought, we briefly stopped at the supermarket, and headed back to grandma's. My sister was kind enough to prepare our dinner which was: FONDUE!!! For a week, my sister and my mom have been searching non-stop for Gruyere cheese here, and it's been very hard. Luckily we found ready made packages and although it's nowhere near as good as freshly made fondue, it was satisfying enough to cure our cravings. I went to bed shortly after watching the Golden Globes (congratulations to Adele, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, Jodie Foster and BRAVE!!!) Monday greeted us with cloudy and grey skies and happily the sun has decided to make an appearance. We're currently experiencing a cool 19 degrees and let's hope it continues.

Sunday Funday Fondue Dinner with the Family

So, it's been a busy week for the messy (and still in the learning process) chef. We'll see what 2013 has in store for me.

Until next time.
xx


P.S. interested in visiting this side of the world, check out http://www.honduras.com/. I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment