Tuesday 26 February 2013

Poaching Pears and Meeting Celebs

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back!!! I'd like to apologize once again, for another late post. Time has been on the short side for me lately. We have entered the last week of February and days have been slipping by without any notice. My time in the kitchen has been very busy and it feels as though I close my eyes and I'm still there. As you can imagine, the baking of tartlets continues without hesitation and you'd think I'd be getting better, but no. At times, they're pretty and well baked, other times they break as soon as you remove the molds. However, I've discovered (after dozens of broken tart molds) that they bake evenly and do not crack if they remain at least 15 minutes in the fridge. We got used to making the dough and letting it rest in the kitchens back in school, but at times, when the hour is busy and desserts need to be finished ASAP, there's no time to chill the dough. Still, we've managed and have tried perfecting the method. 

I swear, they never end!!!

So, being most of the time away from my kitchen, I haven't had much opportunity to get messy and creative here at home, but I've managed to handle some baking orders and they've been a success. This past week, my aunt and her friend hosted a bridal shower for a friend (their goddaughter) and my aunt asked if I could provide some desserts. Because of my schedule, I had time to make just one. From my recent posts, you'd know my adoration for meringues, especially in the form of pavlovas. I took a leaf from my New Year's Desserts and decided to make mini pear pavlovas. Do you recall the ones I made? No? Well, they were a hit and to boost my ego a bit, I was very happy knowing they were a success at the shower. At least that's what guests told me. I guess it must be embarrassing and difficult to evaluate the dessert for the chef who made them, while she stares with longing eyes and a hopeful smile. I would, however, make a slight adjustment to the cooking of the meringue. When I made the nectarine pavlovas, I dried the meringue a bit too much. This time, the meringue needed to be a bit drier. They kinda stuck to the cupcake liners I'd placed them in after a while. Still, very good reviews on them and I'll keep experimenting with them until I can't stand the sight or smell of meringues anymore. I've been thinking about chocolate pavlovas. Yum, right?

Beautiful results!!!

Still on the meringue notes, I was ecstatic when I saw my wine poached pears the following morning. Absolutely beautiful, with a deep royal purple color all over. The smell was even better and we can't even explain the taste. The only spice I use when poaching them is anise; the seeds to be exact. They release enough flavor to compliment the wine, and not overwhelm it. You should try it yourself. 

The perfect shade of purple

The weekend came and went by and Monday morning, on my fabulous day off, I made my way to the hospital hosting the Operation Smile International Mission 2013 to help out. I'd been an active volunteer for many years, with different organizations, but I am proud to say I was a full active member for Op. Smile for 4 years and even served as President at our High School's youth club in 2006-2007. It was my first mission in 6 years and it brought back bittersweet and joyful memories. To my greatest delight, I found myself in the company of a celebrity, of whom I am a HUGE fan: Zachary Levi. Yes, I know...it's just too exciting. With pictures I'll treasure forever, there's one thing I can cross off my bucket list. I finally met Chuck Bartowski!!! 

Goofing off during a break!!! Gotta love him... :)

But we're back to reality. The hour grows late and I'll be heading to bed soon. Another busy day awaits me tomorrow and I've just finished baking a batch of brownies and crêpes I'll be donating to the Operation Smile mission. Good night guys!!!

Until next time.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment