Sunday 26 August 2012

Foodstuffs and others

Well hi there!!!


My apologies to those of you who follow my blog. My head's been in the clouds these past few days, but I'm back.

All in all, this past week was a calm one. My last class was on Wednesday and we got see one of teaching chefs make a chocolate box. This is what we will aim to achieve in some classes next term. The main component is the correct tempering of the chocolate (in my opinion). As we should have mastered tempering by now, it should be a fun and messy practical. 



A bit too much...? There's never too much chocolate!!!

The box doesn't look elegant, but this is because our Chef wanted to show us all the different designs we can use when making the box. He made chocolate ribbons, chocolate cigarettes, chocolate curls, checkered designs and some more abstract ones. When we make it, we will also make molded truffles which will fill the box. It seemed fun to do, but I tend to stress when dealing with the delicate thinness of chocolate designs. Cross your fingers for me!!!

Some of the different elements involved...the box,
the cigarettes and the making of the ribbon.

We finished class early and decided to check out The Big Chair Project. The store Republic of Fritz Hansen, in Margaret St, near Oxford Circus was showcasing some of the chairs that will be auctioned or won by bidders and lottery ticket holders. They were quite impressive. My apologies for not taking pictures of them. The project itself is to raise funds for The Better Food Foundation, founded by Jamie Oliver.  


So we saw the chairs and went for an early dinner. We went to Garfunkels. I had never been to one of their restaurants, but I don't think I will be going again. Bad food and bad service. Still, I had "fun" attempting to eat the ginormous club sandwich I ordered.

It may not look it, but it was really big.


I haven't had a good club sandwich in a while and I'm determined to find one. So, I shall try them all. I just hope my jeans don't complain. 

As you see, I continue my adventures, both in the culinary world and life here in merry ol' London and up till now, I have faced no major disappointments (I really want a good club sandwich...). 

Thursday I met some my college friends and we had dinner at a really good spanish restaurant in Bermondsey Street called Pizarro. We ordered every starter in the menu so we could try them all. The guys also ordered the 3 specials on the board and all 3 desserts as well. Thank the Lord the serving portions were more like tapas, otherwise someone would have had to roll me home. 

On Friday, I joined two other friends at a wine bar near Charing Cross station and let me tell you guys, I loved it!!! The place is called Gordon's Wine Bar and apparently it's the oldest wine bar in London. It is underground but it also has a vast terrace. It was packed when we got there, but we found seat a while later. If you have time, check them out.

Pizarro: 194 Bermondsey StreetLondon SE1 3TQ

Gordon's Wine Bar: 47 Villiers Street, London WC2N 6NE

Saturday was a calm day. As usual, the rainy weather decided to make a rather marking appearance and it rained throughout the day. I absolutely love rainy weather, so I enjoyed the day. We had dinner at a french brasserie with a branch here in Camden Town (my lovely London home) and I must recommend the roast duck breast (for those who enjoy the subtle taste of pink meat), served with a potato gratin and a cherry sauce. Yum!
The name of the chain is CÔTE. I haven't tried anything else on the menu, but I would go back for the duck :). 

Ultimately, the week went by smoothly and I am grateful for that. This coming Friday is my final practical exam and as nervous as I am to see the date here so soon, I am sure we will achieve good results. 

Hope you guys had a pleasant week as well and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Until next time!!!

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment