Monday 21 April 2014

Trials and Tryouts: Some Peanut Butter Cornflake Balls and a Naked Chocolate Cake

Hey Guys!!!

Welcome back. It's the Monday after Easter and Holy Week and that can only mean we're back to the real world. While I had no exciting travel plans or otherwise, I was very happy having stayed home. With not much going around the house and the coffee shop closed for the weekend, I finally got some down time. I was over the moon, knowing there were absolutely no pressing matters to attend. It was just me, my bed, my coffee, movies and books! 

So it's been over two weeks since my last post. I managed to try out several things which were new to me, and thankfully, they all rendered a great product. Recapping slightly, when last I wrote, I had created a beautiful rainbow cake and experimented with a brown sugar marbled pound cake. I continued with the baking endeavors, making a Hummingbird Cake, Meringues, experimented with the dehydrator, trying out pineapples and  ventured with cornflake balls.



When I was asked if I could provide the latter, I was adamant on taking on the task. I had never made any before, but it seemed like a fun challenge. So when I planned out my cooking schedule, I looked up plausible recipes to tackle. And to my surprise, they were all simple, easy and quick. I did not see any that required more than 5 ingredients, and I said "Hey! Why not?" I think I was done within 20 minutes. I didn't really time myself. All I know is I had fun. And I suggest you try the recipe. They seem very versatile and I might try and incorporate oatmeal next time, for a variation. 

The weekend flew by calmly and come Monday, the city seemed ghostlike and empty. Most people had embarked on their travels and journeys Saturday and Sunday. It was a nice change in pace, as the streets were empty and the traffic was gone. I had a couple of things to bake before I actually settled into my couch potato mode but come Wednesday, I was done. Ridiculously, I still woke up stressed for no reason, which annoyed me to no end. When you're used to your schedule, your body adapts to it and even when you know it's time to relax and sleep in, your internal clock says "NO!" 

It smelled divine...

And yet, I still found joy in baking for fun. I decided to try out a lattice pattern on a pineapple pie. I have made one before and it turned out so good, it was time to try it again. I followed the recipe to the step and the result was much different from the first time. While it looked pretty and delicious, the flour incorporated was not enough to soak up the pineapple juices and I ended up with a drowned pie. It was drained, but it changed the flavor. My parents enjoyed it. I didn't. I guess I'll try it again, but with more flour. 

About to fry the doughnuts

Since I was in the mood for something different, I also decided it was time to try doughnuts. They are yummy and I made them my next project. I truly believed I was gone be ages in the kitchen, but I was done in less than half an hour. The dough itself was sticky and I made a huge mess. So I rolled, made the cut outs and fried them in batches. They smelled so good and looked even better, that I was taken aback by the texture. The flavor was amazing, but the fried dough was so dense it was quite a mouthful to take. In retrospect, it is actually what a doughnut should look, taste and feel like. Except that nowadays we are accustomed to the commercial, fluffy doughnuts or "donuts" that most people have no idea what an actual doughnut should be. But, since these need to be eaten almost immediately, I shall try again to make them, decreasing the flour and upping the rising agent. Perhaps then, I obtain a fluffier treat.

I rolled a couple of them in powdered
sugar for a different taste.

After these, I didn't bake until Sunday. Because the coffee shop was closed and the dessert fridge was empty, I had a busy day of baking, as I needed to refill it. I also made the bold decision of eliminating fully the Red Velvet Cake. Why? You ask...well, I am not a fan of the cake. It it simply a red colored, cocoa flavored cake. SO, I came up with a different one. I baked a moist chocolate cake, filled it with creamy peanut butter, topped it with a chocolate glaze and raw, caramelized peanuts. A jaw-dropping, mouth watering naked chocolate cake. I didn't ask how it fared today, but I'm sure I'll know tomorrow.  

It looks to die for...

I came home early today to bake some ginger spiced cookies, which later served as the cookie base for an orange scented cheesecake I baked a little while ago. It is also meant as a trial for the shop, so cross your fingers and let us hope they are both keepers! 

All in all, I am glad to be back on the horse, as now I have a reason to wake up early...reluctant as I may be. Please read ahead for some recipes and I wish you all a fantastic week! 

Until next time.
xx



Peanut Butter Cornflake Balls
Original Recipe by Laura's Sweet Spot
Yields: 5o cookie dough scooped balls

Try them!!!

Ingredients:
1 C. sugar
1 C. corn syrup*
1 18 oz jar of peanut butter*
6 C. of corn flakes
2-3 ounces chocolate of choice

Procedure:
1. Measure sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the entire contents of the  peanut butter jar. Mix well.
2. Measure the 6 cups of corn flakes in a large bowl. Slowly pour the peanut butter and corn syrup over the corn flakes and mix well, making sure the mixture coats all of the corn flakes. 
3. Using a cookie dough scoop, scoop out 1-2 inch corn flake balls and place them over a wax or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Allow them to cool down.
4. Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the cornflake balls.
5. Enjoy!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment