Monday 18 March 2013

Birthday Bakes and Wedding Tea Cakes

Hi guys!!!

Welcome back. After a big celebratory week, we're back to real life. We celebrated two birthdays and a wedding in the past seven days, finishing with a BBQ and a bang. Life is great and it's those moments we live for. 

I was particularly proud of myself, as I have now catered (a small order) for a wedding and the dessert was a hit. As you know, I made the tea cakes, which become more popular by the day. This has given me incentive to be more adventurous with my creations and it has boosted my confidence in the kitchen greatly. Come back next week to hear about my experiments with an ice cream cake.

A Coconut Cream Cake for Dad

Wednesday, my dad turned a whooping 61 years and to commemorate his 6 decades and 12 months, I went ahead and made him a Coconut Cream Cake. All credits to the amazing recipe go to Christi, author and creator of Honey and Butter. I even included her original decoration. I know...such a copycat, but it looked decadent and downright elegant, I couldn't help myself. I told my dad I had ordered him a cake from a local bakery and he complained that everyone has gotten a cake from me and he'd be getting one from someone else. His smile when he saw the cake was priceless. 

The birthday Dad preparing the lobsters

He decided we'd would eat in, and for dinner, we grilled lobsters and steaks and veggies. It was happy occasion and it ended with bang. He was opening his presents when the cake was brought in, candles lit and ready to be blown. Half the cake was gone and it was truly enjoyed by all.  By next morning, only a small slice was left. My cousin's birthday followed, and according to his wishes, I baked him the never-disappointing-absolutely-divine Red Velvet Cake. I topped it with fresh strawberries and mint leaves and made my way to his house. Once more, the candles were lit, a wish was made and the cake was cut. Now a teenager, it was the perfect ending to a wonderful day. 

A Red Velvet Beauty

Friday night, I found myself scurrying around the kitchen, baking tea cakes, frosting tea cakes and baking a Black Magic Cake. Yes, it tastes as good as it sounds. A delicious, insanely moist, chocolate cake. Jamie, of My Baking Addiction is the genius behind this creation and the recipe is flawless. I've been using it for years now and the result is the same always: perfection. I frosted the cake with a traditional French Meringue and chocolate shavings. The reviews were great. Try it sometime.

A Birthday Black Magic Cake

Saturday morning, after frosting the cake and sending it, we were hurrying about. Errands needed to be run, tea cakes delivered, and hair and makeup became a priority for the girls in the house. It was the wedding day and by 7 o'clock pm, we were at church. The ceremony was short and beautiful and the bride and groom oozed happiness. The reception was buzzing with electric life. Dancing, laughing, the night carried out to the early hours of the morning. Sunday morning, we hosted a BBQ, reminiscing on the night's events and laughing. 

Monday has greeted Tegucigalpa with a beautiful sunny sky. I say it again, life is great. I wish you all a great week and I'll be back next Monday with details of my adventures in the kitchen.

Until next time.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment