Sunday 14 October 2012

Sugar Apples and Underwater Creatures

Hi there!!!

Hope everyone had a lovely and well deserved weekend!!! I keep on apologizing for the late posts but I guess I haven't established a schedule for them. I'll try harder, I promise!!!



So, last time we finished off with a sugar ribbon made with pulled sugar. The result was quite nice and I felt proud, as I was scared I would break it at any given moment. The weekend passed by in a blur and next thing I know, we're back in the kitchens. This past week I felt so much better, having battled my cold. It was hard to wake up so early after a couple of days off, but we all managed. As mentioned before, we had two centerpieces left to make. This time, I went for a more abstract shape. The chef mentioned it resembled a lute.

I liked the end result of the colors
During the same workshop, we worked for the first time (most of us at the very least) with blown sugar. I was so excited. Our task was to either make an apple or a pear. I tried making the apple first. I made one with pulled sugar first, and then attempted to make one with clear sugar (meaning it wasn't pulled). It ended up looking like a gigantic cherry, but it was a good first attempt.

The second one was a bit more complicated. As there is no or little air incorporated into the sugar, the control of the sugar needs to be more. It was too delicate and I left several dents on it. I then asked the chef to help me make a pear. It was a small one, but it looked nice. We also practiced making roses out of pulled sugar. One of our many final examinations will be to produce a sugar centerpiece and pulled sugar rose. I've been having trouble with the rose, as they end up looking like any other flower except a rose. Still, I guess I'll pass if it resembles a flower. I'll let you know when the time comes. 

Sugar centerpiece, giant cherry, green apple, pear and flowers
The remaining two days we worked on a same piece. Thursday, our task was to make an underwater scene with poured sugar. I had an idea in mind for it and I ended up doing something completely different. I guess it was good, because the chef liked it a lot. This time I worked with aquas and greens and the occasional orange/yellow/red tone. I was really happy with the end product of the day. We would finish it the following day, when we'd make a fish out of blown sugar.

My underwater scene PART I
Friday morning we present ourselves in the kitchens and to our surprise, our centerpieces are unusually shiny. Well, since they were placed in the open air, the humidity attached itself to the surface of them "melting" the sugar. If looked at them carefully, they had small drips. It really didn't make a difference until it came time to attach the fishies. So, we cooked the sugar, colored it and poured it on the silicon mats. And we began the process of blowing and shaping it.

Using a pump, a blowtorch and either a fan or blowdryer, we all began molding and shaping our fishes. I made mine orange with blue and orange fins and tail. The chef said it was cute. He taught us how to give it movement. Considering it was our first time making one, he was happy with the effort. 

Giving my fishie life
Once it was shaped, cooled and ready, we proceeded to attaching it to our centerpieces. I honestly didn't think about the fish when I made the centerpiece so I had little idea of where to place it. I wanted to attach him to the blue bubble on one of the weeds. Because the centerpiece was melting, the chef said no, as it would fall and it needed support. So the only place to glue it was on top of my other fish. It looks as if the blown sugar fish is avoiding the poured sugar one, hahahaha.

The centerpiece, PART II. It now has life. :)
All in all, we finished the sugar module on a high note. We'll see where my new acquired skills take me. What's in schedule for this week? Plated Desserts. I'm nervous and excited, as this module is the one with the heaviest weight on our final examinations, so please wish us luck. I just had a nightcap with a friend, as we prepare for this coming week.

With this I take my leave. I wish you all a good night and a happy Monday!!!

Sweet Dreams
xx






No comments:

Post a Comment